Washing fresh herbs

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I brought home basil last week and it's very very dirty, at least where I buy it. I washed it in the salad spinner; is there a better way?

thanks

Leni

I just toss it in a sink full of water and stir it with my hand. It's a good idea to use the salad spinner with basil becuase the leaves will darken if left wet. After that any leftovers are treated like flowers. I trim the ends and put them into a vase of water. The vase goes in a shady spot in my kitchen.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I'm with Leni on this. I rinse all my fresh herbs when I get them home, then blot dry a little.

Just like fresh flowers, trim the ends and put them in glasses of water. I feel they keep fresh longer. Sometimes they even start to sprout roots. If so, you can plant them.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
The salad spinner will seriously damage the leaves; please avoid that method. Personally, I'd leave them dirty until I'm ready to use them, and then, only clean what I need. If they have roots, break that part off, then swish the rest in cool water. Gently roll between paper towels to blot dry. Try not to cut them when wet, this will damage the leaf, too.

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
The salad spinner will seriously damage the leaves; please avoid that method. Personally, I'd leave them dirty until I'm ready to use them, and then, only clean what I need. If they have roots, break that part off, then swish the rest in cool water. Gently roll between paper towels to blot dry. Try not to cut them when wet, this will damage the leaf, too.

Yeah, the spinner can be a bit brutal for smaller herb leaves.

Honestly, a soak in cold water, with a gentle stir to remove particulates, a drain, and just shaking off the excess water should do the trick. If you are concerned about moisture just let air dry for a bit.

Unless you are getting like 50lb of leafy greens, no need to over kill it, imo.

Leni

Vera why do you break any roots off? They absorb the water and help keep the herb fresh longer. Since I have an herb garden right outside my kitchen door and a greenhouse window there I rarely buy herbs. I grow basil in the window during the winter.

As far as a salad spinner goes, a lot depends on how hard you spin it. I do agree that if you do it too hard it will damage the leaves. On the other hand if you plan to use all of it right away in a recipe it doesn't matter. If however it's going to be a garnish that's a different story.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I break the roots off when I'm about to use them...I tend to use an entire bunch in one cooking.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
How do you keep your fresh parsley & cilantro from withering away? I've tried putting them in water on the counter, wrapping the root ends in damp paper towel in the fridge and nothing seems to work....any suggestions?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi rickismom!

I find that putting fresh herbs in a glass of water on the sill is the best way to keep them the longest.

Change the water every few days.

Lee

Attachments

• End of garden season 2006.JPG
    End of garden season 2006.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 157

GotGarlic

I trim the stem ends, put them in a glass of water, cover loosely with one of those light plastic bags grocery stores have in the produce section, and refrigerate. If I don't use them up, I change the water every few days and rinse any ucky leaves off the stems. They will last a week or more this way.