Venison roast recipe [little help]

Rustpot

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]How about a recipe for a Venison roast that ain't going to wear my teeth out on trying to chew it. [/FONT]

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I can't help you with a venison roast recipe, but I can tell you this. If you have a way to give it a coarse grind, it makes great chili. It's pretty lean, so it's a pretty healthy chili too.

I have some family members who would live at the deer lease the whole time during hunting season if they were allowed. They have the majority of their meat ground for chili, ground and mixed with ?? (probably pork) for sausage, and they save the backstrap for just good eating.

Good luck! Maybe someone will come along with a vension roast recipe that comes out tender.

Capozzoli

What cut do you have?

Some are a lot tougher then others. Some cuts will have to be stewed or braised. Some cuts are better left rare.

I love venison loin seared over hot coals.

DSC01041.jpg

Cooksie, love the blog. Gonna dig through there, thanks.

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My wife and both love venison back strap and prepare it pretty much like a brisket of beef. If cooked correctly and cut against the grain when done it should be close to fork tender when done. If not it is more like shoe leather which is not so good.

We clean the roast of all excess fat, sinew and marinate it. I generally marinate overnight as it makes for a more tender roast in most cases. Now as for the marinate I've used a few different ones over the years to settle on common milk either use whole milk or buttermilk.

After that we rinse off in water and pat dry.

We cut up cloves of garlic into slivers and puncture the flesh inserting it every couple of inches. You can use garlic powder but I prefer the fresh.
Lightly coat the the whole roast with Kitchen Bouquet
Lightly Salt
Pepper to taste
Use on can of creme of Mushroom soup and one packet onion soup mix over the top.

Water on bottom of pan below the rack. Place on rack and cover with a top or foil in a preheated oven in the center of the oven.

We cook for 25 minutes per pound. Replace water as cooking if needed. If you use a meat probe we let it go to 150 deg for medium well but heats are about the same as beef. Remove from oven as well as top or foil and let rest about 20 minutes.

Use the dripping to make your gravy by adding a little wine, demi glacé, season to taste and can us a thickener of your choice.

Just remember to cut against the grain when slicing to serve.

You can substitute brands etc of your choice.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
What cut do you have?

Some are a lot tougher then others. Some cuts will have to be stewed or braised. Some cuts are better left rare.

I love venison loin seared over hot coals.

DSC01041.jpg

Cooksie, love the blog. Gonna dig through there, thanks.

Thank you! I'm not real good about keeping it up.

Very nice plate of food :applause:.