Ultimate Green Bean Casserole.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Try THIS mouth-watering recipe. It is guaranteed to please!!

Ultimate Green Bean Casserole.

Green-Bean-Casserole-2-sm_edited-more-color-lighter.jpg
Save Print

: The Daring Gourmet, www.daringgourmet.com
Serves: 6

Ingredients

• 3 slices thick-cut bacon, diced
  • ½ cup finely chopped yellow onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 12 ounces fresh button or cremini mushrooms, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup half-and-half
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • ½ cup shredded white cheddar cheese
  • ¾ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed, halved, and blanched (boil 5 minutes, place beans in ice water for a couple of minutes, drain)
  • 1 can French fried onions

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Fry the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crispy. Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for another 4-5 minutes until the mushrooms are soft. Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
  3. Melt the butter in the same skillet and whisk in the flour. Once combined, continue whisking for another 2 minutes until the mixture has slightly deepened in color. Add the half-and-half and chicken broth while constantly whisking to prevent lumps. Once slightly thickened, add the cheese and whisk until melted and combined.
  4. Next add the mushroom/bacon mixture along with the salt and pepper. Let the sauce simmer for a couple of minutes, then add the green beans. Stir to combine.
  5. Pour the bean mixture into a 9x13 casserole dish and sprinkle the French fried onions all over the top. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.

3.2.2807 :bonk::piesmiley1::eating2:

Shermie

Site Supporter
11 hours ago

I had to improvise by using frozen green beans in place of fresh, pepperoni in place of the ham, 1% milk in place of the half & half and chopped jarred mushrooms in place of the fresh ones and yellow cheddar cheese in place of white.

Still, the dish came out very good!! ;)

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here is MY version of it;

The cheddar cheese helps give it that tangy cheesy flavor in the background!! :bbq3:
051.jpg
052.jpg
053.jpg
054.jpg
056.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks!!

I just heated up some of it in the microwave for breakfast!! :biggrin: :cooking:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks terrific, Shermie!

Wish I had some of it for tonight!

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks!

I'm having some more with supper tonight!

Tastes sort of like Au Graten Potatoes because of the cheddar cheese that I put in it! Yum!!! :piesmiley1::eating2:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
In our house they're called "company beans," because that's the only time we make them. Looks good, Sherm.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks!

Agreed!! Never thought of that!

It DOES seem that the only time that the casserole is made is on the holidays when company comes over to eat! Hah!! :agree: :applause:

Shermie

Site Supporter
The recipe is very easy to make, for those of you whom might want to try it, and I plan to do it agoin in the not-to-distant future.

Only next time, I want to try it using the canned green bens instead. :bbq:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Slivered almonds could be used. And I got some in the freezer!! Didn't think about it at the time!! :weber: :)

Shermie

Site Supporter
Slivered almonds are normally put with green beans anyway. I just didn't think of it when I made the casserole a few weeks ago! :agree:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I think I'll make this one for Thanksgiving this year.

Lee