Turnip greens with smoked meat

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I bought one bunch of small white turnips at a Farmer's Market, cooked and mashed them. I saved the greens, picked up a package of smoked pork neck bones for $2 and used this recipe as a base.

I omitted the bell pepper and the turnips, only had one bunch of greens, but I made the rest of the recipe as written. Served over rice and it was delicious! Dad and I both loved it!

Served with cornbread muffins.

Lee

Soul Food Turnip Greens

https://iheartrecipes.com/soul-food-turnip-greens/

Turnip greens with smoked turkey is a classic southern soul food side dish. Customize this recipe with your favorite meat (like ham hocks, smoked neck bones, or salted pork) for a delicious family dinner side.

Ingredients

10-12 bunches Turnip Greens

1 large smoked turkey wing

8 cups water

1 medium yellow onion

1 medium bell pepper any color

1 tbsp minced garlic

1 tsp red pepper flakes

2 tsp seasoning salt

1 tsp black pepper

1 tbsp brown sugar

2 tsp apple cider vinegar

3 medium turnips peeled & diced

Instructions

Add the smoked turkey wing into a large pot, then pour in 8 cups of water.

Place the pot over high heat, and bring to a boil. Let cook for 45-50 minutes.

While the smoked turkey is cooking, clean your greens.

Once the greens are cleaned, remove the leaves from the stems, and start adding the turnip leaves in the pot.

Once all the greens are in the pot, start adding in the onions and bell peppers.

Next add in the garlic, red pepper flakes, seasoning salt, black pepper, brown sugar, and vinegar.

Give everything a nice stir, then reduce the heat to medium.

Let the soul food turnip greens cook for 1 hour & 30 minutes over medium heat.

Now toss in the turnips, and fold in with the other ingredients. Let cook for another 30 - 45 minutes.

Serve, and enjoy with some cornbread.

Turnio greens.JPG

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We use smoked or salt cured ham for a similar dish.

I like smoked ham, too, and used to use smoked pork hocks but found them too salty. Do you soak or somehow lessen the salt, Lobo?

Lee