Tostados

Leni

This is a very popular dish here in the Southwest. It's basically an open face taco with additions.

1 pkg large flour torillas

1 can refried beans

1 lb ground or shredded beef. Chicken or pork can also be used. If you use pork then you would add in salsa verde instead of the tomato based one.

Seasoning for the meat, I use Cholula seasoning.

chopped onion

chopped garlic

shredded lettuce

fresh salsa or chopped tomato

avocado or guacomole

sour cream

Hot sauce. I use Siracha or Texas Pete.

fresh cilantro, chopped

grated cheese, usually cheddar or jack

black sliced olives

I fry the flour tortillos in the deep fryer with a form to make a basket. Someone posted 'as seen on TV' that would do the same in the oven. Keep them warm in the oven.

I fry the ground beef with sliced onion to taste adding fresh chopped garlic toward the end. Also add what ever other seasoning you are using. Cumin and oregano, red pepper flakes are commonly used.

Heat the refried beans and put a layer of them on the bottom of the bowl of the tortilla. Then a layer of the meat with the hot sauce. Add a layer of the lettuce and then the salsa or chopped fresh tomatoes. Add a layer of grated cheese. Avocado or guacamole comes next. Sprinkle the chopped cilantro over the top and then add a dollop of sour cream. Add the olives. You can add more hot sauce as desired.

Actually you can layer the ingredients as you choose. I do recommend that you start with the beans so the tortilla doesn't get soggy. You can make this as scorching hot as you want or very mild.

You can also add in other ingredients as you chose. I remember going to a Mexican place when I was young. They added in juliened beets and green beans. Not exactly classic but it tasted good.

Now I've made myself hungry. I'll have to have this for dinner tonight.

Last edited:

Leni

For the life of me I could not think of a very basic Mexican spice yesterday. It is coriander which is the seed of the cilantro plant.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you, Leni!

It's kind of like a taco salad!

Yumm!

Lee