TGIFriday 10/21/2011 What's cooking?

lilylove

Paul is hunting again this weekend..so I don't have to plan meals. :) Just cereal, soup from a can and easy stuff like that all weekend long!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I have a little leftover meatloaf that I'm going to crumble up and use for spaghetti. We'll have salad with it. If I can get my butt in gear, I'll make some garlic bread sticks too.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm glad I got off my butt and made the bread sticks :lol:.

Attachments

• dinner-10212011.jpg
    dinner-10212011.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 129

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I had lunch at 2:30, so I'm just having a big spinach salad tonight - baby spinach, bacon, sliced eggs, mushrooms, radishes, croutons, and some homemade dressing.

I could use a breadstick to go with my salad. Those look good, Mama!

Embryodad

Okay!.... DW doesn't know it yet, but I made one of her her favorite meals, from her Slovak Heritage...I made her Haluska with Fried and carmelized cabbage and onions.

There are several ways to make these, and I found an easier way to boil the Potato / Flour Haluska (lumps) by rolling and forming little pillows by cutting them and dropping them in the boiling salted water. The old way is to drop them by scraping with a spoon and dropping them in one by one into the water. I have done it that way and learned from watching DW's Mother make them.

I just roll out the ropes, and cut cut cut.

Unfortunately...they come out differently any time I make them. It depends on the potato / the moisture / humidity / etc.

This time they made the OK test. they were not too heavy (the way I like them), and they did not mush together.

f991b186.jpg

7a833535.jpg

7ecd182c.jpg

5673a50a.jpg

Embryodad

me neither--and I am Polish!!
they look like gnocchi!!!
They are a similar of gnocchi ... There are many different ways to make them, and somtimes they are like noodles.

The Germans make them like little drop pea size noodles spaezel I believe they call them.
I made these with leftover skins on red mashed potatoes that DD made.

Tina's mom grated fine fresh potatoes and added egg and flour I think.
She never measured...but she was like a machine dropping them by spoonfulls in the water bath.

I just had some, and as they cool off to room temperature...they tend to get heavy. DW may not like that, but I do. I'll wash off the cabbage, and add tomato sauce and cheese. hahahaha....

K

Kimchee

Sampled another Oriental buffet in our new city....
Not bad, but not worth returning to again.

One BIG difference between IN and NC is that Indiana does
not have any sort of health inspection rating system for
restaurants. So far, for oriental buffets, we have been to
2 really dirty places, and one had raw in the middle
chicken on the buffet...
they didn't remove it when I told them about it, either.

So far, we've tried 4, would return to one because it is close,
and the other is worth the slightly longer drive.
But neither are really outstanding.

Embryodad

subway veggie sub, reese's pieces. pop then pelligrino. 'nite.
Hey! Luvs!... Great to hear from you !... Everyone missed you... Lots...

BTW...That candy basket is full with all kinds of candy in the back room, and ready for the trick or treater's.. Shhhhhh!.. I've been hittin the reeses and the twix bars.. I keep fluffing the pile up so it doesn't look like I'm stealing them.
I pack the middle underneath with bags of m&m's..

Oh Cooksie - that Spinach Salad looks lovely & delicious. I'm envious.

Years ago when I worked in Manhattan, there was a little restaurant down the street called "Applause". It was staffed by young theatre actors who worked at the restaurant when they weren't out on auditions, & at night they'd perform for the diners. It was a fun little place. What I remember most about it was their FABULOUS Spinach Salad - really fresh Savoy spinach, sliced white button mushrooms, hard-boiled eggs, crumbled bacon, & your choice of dressing which, for my friend & I, was always their thicker than thick blue cheese dressing. It spoiled me for blue cheese on spinach salad from then on, which is how I now make it. (But I do like warm bacon dressing as well!)

Cooksie

Site Supporter
The blue cheese dressing sounds good. I've got a ton of fresh spinach to get creative with.

I've tried the blue cheese 2 different ways, & both have been good. Commercial refrigerated blue cheese dressing (I really like Marie's brand), & simply adding crumbled blue cheese to traditional spinach salad bacon dressing. Both have their own merits.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Cooksie! They would have been really good with that beautiful salad!

I agree that those onions were beautiful Jimmy!

Wow Kimchee...I thought all states had health inspections for restaurants. That makes eating out really scary. It's a wonder the restaurants there can even get insurance.

MGJ....that would make some points with DH too but I'll have to find other ways to make points :lol:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I'm glad I got off my butt and made the bread sticks :lol:.

OH MAMA!! That plate makes this Italian heart sing!! Is the bread stick recipe posted somewhere? I lost so many recipes when my PC went.

Here's my spinach salad:

SpinachSalad.jpg
That salad is a beautiful thing!!

Jimmy your dinner looks wonderful. I have never had that either. I guess I am a strange Italian but I never really was that fond of gnocci. Maybe because the few times I had them they were mushy and the texture just did not appeal to me. My mom didn't make them.

Everyones meals sound yummy.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Thanks all!

I've tried the blue cheese 2 different ways, & both have been good. Commercial refrigerated blue cheese dressing (I really like Marie's brand), & simply adding crumbled blue cheese to traditional spinach salad bacon dressing. Both have their own merits.

I've seen the Marie's in the produce section. I'll give it a try.

Not a very good picture but it tasted good.

Chicken stir-fry

That picture is just fine. You know that's my kind of eatin' :readytoeat:.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
Hey! Luvs!... Great to hear from you !... Everyone missed you... Lots...

BTW...That candy basket is full with all kinds of candy in the back room, and ready for the trick or treater's.. Shhhhhh!.. I've been hittin the reeses and the twix bars.. I keep fluffing the pile up so it doesn't look like I'm stealing them.
I pack the middle underneath with bags of m&m's..
hi jimmy! i very much missed being on here. thanx. twix used to be a fave. i love them. reeses. now i stick w/ reese's pieces

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Thanks all!

I've seen the Marie's in the produce section. I'll give it a try.

That picture is just fine. You know that's my kind of eatin' :readytoeat:.
Thank you cooksie.

Marie's blue is EXCELLENT!!