Taking ideas for Szechuan Peppercorns

High Cheese

Saucier
Anyone ever use them?

I have one recipe from CHOW that makes my mouth water, something about spice and noodles does it for me. http://www.chow.com/recipes/11087?tag=nl.e351 Was thinking about incorporating the peppercorns in that.

peppercorn.jpg

FryBoy

I've used them often in Szechuan dishes. They have a unique flavor and add a nice kick to things like ma-po dou-fu and dan dan mian (recipe attached).

Attachments

• Ma-Po Dou-Fu.pdf
    12.6 KB · Views: 290
  • Dan Dan Mian.pdf
    50.6 KB · Views: 243

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What if you made Steak au Poivre with them, Jay?

Lee

High Cheese

Saucier
Yeah, I saw an episode on TV, Zimmern or Bourdain...can't recall, anyhoo they go into this Szechuan restaurant and right smack in the middle of the table is a heaping bowl of noodles with the peppers floating all around it like little innocent flowers. lol

Been craving it ever since.

High Cheese

Saucier
Her Szechuan Pepper Roasted chicken recipe looked good, GG, but the BUTTERFLIED roasted chicken looked fantastic!

Maybe HC could season the chicken with the Szechuan Salt she makes from the peppers, and then do the butterfly-roasting thing.

Her photos look wonderful!

Lee

Actually, I'm grilling some ribeys tonight with a variation of Szechuan pepper salt. Found it on CHOW. one part peppercorns to 3 parts salt, toast for 10 minutes in a skillet, cool and grind. Cept, I have a spare pepper mill so I'm gonna skip the grind part. :chef: