Swine Flu Update

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Swine flu has symptoms nearly identical to regular flu — fever, cough and sore throat — and spreads like regular flu, through tiny particles in the air, when people cough or sneeze. People with flu symptoms are advised to stay at home, wash their hands and cover their sneezes.

It's all being blown way out of proportion.

This is the new panic of the day, the media are really having a ball with this.

Tell you what my own doctor and the physicians I have spoken with at work are saying.

NOW is not the time to worry. Come Fall and Winter, maybe.

Take precautions like you would any other time a flu virus is running rampant in ANY state.
If you are in reasonable good health, not to worry.
If you are immunosuppressive, have very young children or elderly loved ones, make sure you take special precautions for them.
Otherwise... it's just another virus.
Wait and see .. ;)

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I'm not concerned about this as far as getting sick, but it is sure affecting our area. People are panicking because they have closed schools for over 53,000 Texas school children. You wouldn't believe what an effect that is having! Moms are having to try and find someone to watch their kids so they can go to work or they can't go. All of our parks are closed, too. It's crazy!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I've been keeping up with all the news events concerning it down there Terry.
It's a case of better to be safe than sorry, isn't it?

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Yeah. I decided it was all too much and came down here to the coast for a few days. In this little town, no one is paying any attention to it!

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
I have never seen them close entire school districts!! Fort Worth is not small! This is getting nasty!

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Were are doomed!!!

Attachments

• omg.jpg
    omg.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 455
  • sick.gif
    sick.gif
    5 KB · Views: 465

homecook

There was a boy here who had/has it, I believe he was the first reported. They just closed his school, not the whole district.

Dh and I were just talking about the media taking this to a higher level! Isn't that how it usually is?

smoke king

Banned
We have a confirmed case here in Nebraska. The guy is from San Diego, and they think he contracted it there.

Its frightening how fast this thing is getting around.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Regarding Joe Biden's airliner fear message regarding recirculated air. He ought to have his ass kicked for saying what he did. Jet passenger aircraft cabin air comes from the packs, systems which provide pressurization and conditioned air. Except for the cockpits (in some types of planes), 50% of the cabin air is recirculated. There is a none technical fix - turn off the recirculating fans. Duh! Any captain with half a brain is already doing it and you can bet your butt that by the end of this day it will be mandatory. Turning off the fans sends the cabin air directly to the outflow valves and into the atmosphere. It costs a little in extra fuel usage but should prevent a lot of people from getting sick.

I have no problem riding in a passenger jet assuming this procedure is followed.

Buzz

smoke king

Banned
Regarding Joe Biden's airliner fear message regarding recirculated air. He ought to have his ass kicked for saying what he did. Jet passenger aircraft cabin air comes from the packs, systems which provide pressurization and conditioned air. Buzz

I didn't know that Buzz, and I'm willing to bet a lot of others didn't either-most of us assume that the air in a plane is recirculated because thats what we've always heard. Thanks for setting us straight!

Here, let me buy you a cool one! :beer:

Deadly Sushi

Regarding Joe Biden's airliner fear message regarding recirculated air. He ought to have his ass kicked for saying what he did. Jet passenger aircraft cabin air comes from the packs, systems which provide pressurization and conditioned air. Except for the cockpits (in some types of planes), 50% of the cabin air is recirculated. There is a none technical fix - turn off the recirculating fans. Duh! Any captain with half a brain is already doing it and you can bet your butt that by the end of this day it will be mandatory. Turning off the fans sends the cabin air directly to the outflow valves and into the atmosphere. It costs a little in extra fuel usage but should prevent a lot of people from getting sick.

I have no problem riding in a passenger jet assuming this procedure is followed.

Buzz

Then it wont be done.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Then it wont be done.

Wanna bet? The captains will do it on their own. My contemporaries and I did things like this all the time and were seldom questioned and never disciplined. There are times when we have to say "screw management" and take the bull by the horns. If the president of my company would have been in the cockpit I'd have done the things I did and not thought a thing about it.

Deadly Sushi

Wanna bet? The captains will do it on their own. My contemporaries and I did things like this all the time and were seldom questioned and never disciplined. There are times when we have to say "screw management" and take the bull by the horns. If the president of my company would have been in the cockpit I'd have done the things I did and not thought a thing about it.

And my management would take the switch off so you couldnt do that. :neutral:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
And my management would take the switch off so you couldnt do that. :neutral:

You don't know pilots, do you? We're independent. Even the wimpy minority knows that the union will stand between them and the bean counters not to mention that Federal Aviation Regulations and International Maritime Law give us all the authority and protection we need.

Ask Jesse Jackson how he felt when I forced his highness to take his seat, and you should have seen the looks on the faces of a half dozen or so A-holes I've confronted in my career when they were met by the cops, or the one tough guy in particular when an Air Marshall opened his jacket.

Trust me. The pilots don't want to take the flu home to their families. The A/C packs will be off. It's common sense.