Subbing Cooked Dry Lentils For Canned?

There's a "Lentil Fritter" recipe I want to try some time in the next couple of weeks that calls for two 15-ounce cans of lentils, rinsed. I'd prefer to cook my own from dried.

Anyone know - at least approximately - how much dry lentils I'd need to cook up to equal the already-cooked canned ones?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I found this. Hope it helps

Yields of Dried Beans and Peas

1 cup split peas
2 1/2 cups cooked peas

1 cup lentils
2 1/2 cups cooked lentils

1 cup black beans
2 cups cooked beans

1 cup blackeye beans
2 1/2 cups cooked beans

1 cup Great Northern beans
2 1/2 cups cooked beans

1 cup kidney beans
2 3/4 cups cooked beans

2 cup large lima beans
2 1/2 cups cooked beans

1 cup small lima beans
2 cups cooked beans

1 cup pea (or navy) beans
2 1/2 cups cooked beans

1 cup pinto beans
2 1/2 cups cooked beans

Inserted from <http://www.dutchovendude.com/cooking-measurement.shtml>

Thanks for that list! I've saved it for future reference.

Who would've thought that there were so many different opinions on the amounts of dry vs. canned lentils. I did research it some, but no one seems to agree - lol! I think the problem is that unlike other dried legumes, lentils don't seem to swell as much.

Now I guess I have to figure out how many cups of canned lentils (minus all the liquid) go into a 14-ounce can. Oh the humanity! Lol! At least with something like fritters, adjusting the recipe a little here & there shouldn't be too difficult.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Thanks for that list! I've saved it for future reference.

Who would've thought that there were so many different opinions on the amounts of dry vs. canned lentils. I did research it some, but no one seems to agree - lol! I think the problem is that unlike other dried legumes, lentils don't seem to swell as much.

Now I guess I have to figure out how many cups of canned lentils (minus all the liquid) go into a 14-ounce can. Oh the humanity! Lol! At least with something like fritters, adjusting the recipe a little here & there shouldn't be too difficult.
Welcome. If you click the link at the bottom there is a whole page of info like that.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
yup. I came up with the 300 can size as well.

concur, lentils don't swell up all so much - some, wild axx guess 15% - not like pasta or (some) dried beans.

two 15 ounce cans +/- 1.75 cups each

I'd go with 3 cups dry.

they make canned lentils?..... never looked - I stock them dry.....

Yes - that's another thing. Outside of canned Lentil Soup, I can't ever recall coming across canned lentils in the canned bean section of any of my local supermarkets - & a couple of the markets carry pretty much everything/anything. I always keep a cornucopia of canned beans on hand, so I'm sure I would have noticed canned lentils if they were around.

QuirkyCookery

I found this. Hope it helps

Yields of Dried Beans and Peas
~edited out list~

Ooo, that was an incredibly helpful list. It's handy to note that most seem to yield about 2.5 cups per cup of dry so in the future, I don't have to go digging every time; I can just remember that conversion and go with it.

BreezyCooking said:
Outside of canned Lentil Soup, I can't ever recall coming across canned lentils in the canned bean section of any of my local supermarkets

Me neither.