Stone and Jonah crab claws

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Since I saw medtran's photo of stone crab claws (and I think Silversage has posted about them in the past as well), I've been interested in trying them.

Today, I saw bags of frozen Jonah crab claws that are evidently similar. Didn't note the price, or look at the heating directions (I assume they were fully cooked).

How do you guys heat them? What is the white stuff in Karen's photo below (I copied it from a dinner thread)?

Below Karen's stone crab claws is an internet photo of Jonah crab claws.

Lee

stone crab.jpg

jonah crab claws.jpg

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
We prefer the stone crabs cold, not straight out of fridge or off ice, but still cold. I've had them warmed with drawn butter. First time craig's mother was gifted some stone crabs, she and his granny didn't realize they were already cooked, so they cooked them again. He said they were awful. The claws are only sold cooked, never raw. Personally, I wouldn't buy frozen. I'll wait for season.

I assume you mean the blob of mustard sauce by itself? It's supposedly the same recipe Joe Stone Crabs uses (a famous stone crab place). We got it from The Miami Herald years and years ago. I'll post recipe if you want it, but it's on a computer that's off now. It makes a good mustard sauce for pretzels too. The white-white stuff on the potato is sour cream.

Jonah crabs have a stringier, rougher textured meat and don't have the same rich taste as the stone crabs in our experience. We bought them a couple of times and decided never again.

We like to buy from Grimm's, which is over on Florida 's west coast outside of Naples. They do ship, but it's overnight I think so is not cheap. But, their stone crab prices are good since they own the boats and have their little shop where they dock, so no middleman. I think their Web site is something like crabsrus.com.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
We prefer the stone crabs cold, not straight out of fridge or off ice, but still cold. I've had them warmed with drawn butter. First time craig's mother was gifted some stone crabs, she and his granny didn't realize they were already cooked, so they cooked them again. He said they were awful. The claws are only sold cooked, never raw. Personally, I wouldn't buy frozen. I'll wait for season.

I assume you mean the blob of mustard sauce by itself? It's supposedly the same recipe Joe Stone Crabs uses (a famous stone crab place). We got it from The Miami Herald years and years ago. I'll post recipe if you want it, but it's on a computer that's off now. It makes a good mustard sauce for pretzels too. The white-white stuff on the potato is sour cream.

Jonah crabs have a stringier, rougher textured meat and don't have the same rich taste as the stone crabs in our experience. We bought them a couple of times and decided never again.

We like to buy from Grimm's, which is over on Florida 's west coast outside of Naples. They do ship, but it's overnight I think so is not cheap. But, their stone crab prices are good since they own the boats and have their little shop where they dock, so no middleman. I think their Web site is something like crabsrus.com.

Cooksie

Site Supporter

Have you ever had marinated blue crab claws? They were always my appetizer at Ralph and Kacoo's. The blue crab claws are hard to find around here and seem to be only available around the holidays. I bought their cookbook mainly to get their recipe for this. They're pre-cooked too. I have some pic's somewhere, but they may be lost in photobucket or flickr.

This is Ralph and Kacoo's picture:
1609259055296.png

I'll dig out the recipe and post if there is any interest.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
No, never had marinated. Craig's family is from Maryland, so they always steam them with Old Bay, etc., or use females to make she crab soup.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've only had blue crabs when they are soft-shelled, battered and fried. At least, I think they are blue crabs. Love 'em that way! They sort of have the consistency of an over-hard fried egg.

I will see if I can find those, too, Cooksie.

Lee