Steamed Potatoes

LADawg

There is a small restaurant chain down here in Lower Alabama (known as LA by the locals), the western Florida Panhandle, and South Mississippi named The Shrimp Basket http://shrimpbasket.com/ . Their food is especially good and my wife and I eat at one of their locations at least once a month. One of their side dishes is steamed small red potatoes. Man are these GOOD!
Since I have never steamed potatoes I did a search of the internet for recipes and tips on steaming them, but would also like to see some input from the members of this forum on steaming small red (or white) potatoes. Anyone have any tips and/or recipes?

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I make them often on the grill.

I cube the potatoes in 1/4" cubes. I usually chop up an onion, a pinch or two of herbs de provence or Italian spices or cilantro flakes. Salt, pepper, garlic powder. Add a couple pats of butter and an ice cube or two. Wrap in aluminum foil forty minutes or so on the grill, turn a couple times. Never had leftovers.

Hope this helps.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I've tried to post this three times. it's getting shorter by the glitch.
I suspect they are new potatoes - harvested before they get big.
they are moister, more tender, sweeter than their all growed up cousins.
the trick is to get them really fresh from harvest. if kept too long - more than a couple days, they dry out and taste same old-same old.

here's my seriously new crop this year:
DSC_3718.jpg

along with peas a popping
DSC_3717.jpg

and salsa real soon now....
DSC_3716.jpg

LADawg

I did a quick practice cooking yesterday. I cut some B size red potatoes in half and steamed them for about 15 minutes. They seemed fork tender so I placed them is a small bowl with two or three pads of butter. They were good, but seemed like they could have been cooked a little longer.
Today at lunch I cut them into quarters and steamed them for about 18 minutes. Again I placed them in a bowl with several pads of butter. I think I should have cooked them a little less since I had cut them into smaller pieces.
Anyway, the butter and salt made them taste very good. I will cook some YukoBn Gold size B's tomorrow and see how they turn out.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I make them often on the grill.

I cube the potatoes in 1/4" cubes. I usually chop up an onion, a pinch or two of herbs de provence or Italian spices or cilantro flakes. Salt, pepper, garlic powder. Add a couple pats of butter and an ice cube or two. Wrap in aluminum foil forty minutes or so on the grill, turn a couple times. Never had leftovers.

Hope this helps.

We just did some of these this past weekend, Andy and LA. Used multi-colored fingerling potatoes.

Great side dish for other stuff on the grill!

Lee

Attachments

• Steamed potatoes.JPG
    Steamed potatoes.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 94

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
from this morning, the new potatoes are getting a bit newer - just about to bloom

first blossom set on the tomatoes as well....

Attachments

• DSC_3775.jpg
    DSC_3775.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC_3777s.jpg
    DSC_3777s.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 90