STEAK PIZZAIOLA

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
One of my favorite ways to make an easy, delicious meal out of a chuck steak!

steakpizzaiolazs1.jpg

STEAK PIZZAIOLA

2 lb. piece of boneless chuck steak about 3/4" thick
1 (35 oz.) can Italian style tomatoes
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. parsley
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 med. onion, sliced

Place steak in a roasting pan. Crush tomatoes and place them on the steak, adding remaining liquid to the pan. Place sliced onions and garlic on top of the tomatoes. Sprinkle the oregano, salt and parsley over the steak.

Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 2 hours or until meat is tender when pierced with a fork. (If sauce tends to become too thick while cooking, add a small amount of water to the mixture.)

For an extra touch, three or four peeled potatoes may be added to the roasting pan in the last hour of cooking.

I top the dish with shredded mozzarella and put the pan under the broiler till the cheese browns.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I learned to make this dish on the stove top in a very large saute pan, one with a fitted lid. Instead of baking for hours we simmered it for hours. Do you do the seasoned breadcrumbs in the sauce after you remove the meat??

And, more importantly, did you serve this with mashed potatoes??

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Vera, I have not tried adding breadcrumbs to the sauce. Sounds like a great idea, though, and I'll try it next time for sure!

Yes, I serve it with mashed potatoes or rice. Good stuff!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, I haven't made this in ages! Found a nice little 1.25 lb. chuck steak and thought of this recipe.

I did sear it a minute on each side before putting it in the oven for an hour. Only thing I'd do differently next time is to use better mozzarella. I used pre-shredded, reduced fat mozz. and it wasn't a great melter.

Lee
Chuck 1.JPG
Chuck 1.JPG
Chuck 2.JPG
Chuck 3.JPG

Last edited:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
This would easily adapt to my slow cooker.
I'll be making this one in the future.
Thanks Lee.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Chuck steak sale! I omitted the cheese topping on the steak since I had it in the eggplant dish. I liked the pizzaiola better without the cheese on it. Really delicious and my house smelled like garlic heaven!

Lee

Chuck steak pizzaiola.JPG

Steak pizzaiola and eggplant plated.JPG