Sourdough Biscuits

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Found this on the net.

Cooked in a Dutch Oven on the campfire, next to "Big Red", a 1900 Studebaker wagon with 57" knife blade wheels.

Instructions for cooking in the snow and rain included. The very last paragraph tells you how to cook them at home in the kitchen oven :yum:

It's worth looking around his site. Interesting stuff.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good find Jim.
Since we've linked to them I copied it for easier viewing here:

Biscuit Recipe

4 cups flour ¾ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar ½ cup shortening
1½ tablespoons baking powder ¾ teaspoon baking soda
3½ cups sourdough starter
Rub shortening generously over the inside of your Dutch oven. Set the Dutch by the fire to melt the shortening and to preheat.
Put all the flour in your sifter; on top of the flour put the balance of the dry ingredients. Sift them all together at one time.
Using a fork cut the shortening into dry ingredients until blended well. Pour in all of the sourdough starter and mix until you can’t stir the dough anymore. This is where the Master’s touch is needed. Sourdough starters (also called sponge) come in many different consistencies; thin like milk to as thick as pancake batter. If yours is as thin as milk you won’t have to add much more but if it is thick as pancake dough you may have to add as much as 2 more cups of starter. You must add enough starter to the dough for it to get a shiny finish and slightly sticky the touch. All this can all be accomplished with a wooden spoon.
Spread a small amount of flour on the chuck box table and gently turn the ball of dough out onto the floured surface. With floured hands (No! rolling pins!), gently press the dough flat until it is about ¾ inch thick or about the size of the bottom of your 14in. Dutch oven. “The less you handle the dough the lighter and fluffier your biscuits will be.” For man size biscuits I use a tin coffee cup, the size you cut your biscuits is really up to the cook.
When putting the biscuits into the Dutch oven (that’s the one with the lip on the lid.), I like to lay them in melted shortening, (this causes the Sourdough biscuit to brown nicely); turn the biscuits over as you gently crowd them into the Dutch until it is full.
They are now ready to bake. You don’t have to let these biscuits rise, if you did it right they will rise as they bake. These should take 27 minutes at 400 degrees.
Just remember: Sourdough biscuits are heavier and denser than store bought “whopping” biscuits (that’s the ones you buy in a can and “whop” them on the counter to open), so they will take longer to cook no matter what method you use.

Locutus

I love sourdough biscuits.

Sometime try the same recipe with 100 percent stone ground whole wheat flour! :wink: