Soup question?

Lefty

Yank
I know soups are a colder weather dish. I was wondering how many of you are like me and use soup as a dual purpose meal. I use it as a primary meal, in other words I would cook a chicken noodle soup. I also use leftovers to make soup, like the other day I used left over meatloaf to make a great soup. I love soups, stews and chilies. How about you???????

DanMcG

We'll do the same 9-10 months a year, but just not in the dead of the summer heat.
I'll freeze bones and stuff through the summer for when it cools down to make stock

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I make soup all year round. We had lentil soup 2 days in a row (TWO fresh batches because the first went in 1 dinner and a lunch and so did the second batch LOL). I have used left over pot roast and the aus jus to make beef barley soup the next day. When and if I have left over lentil soup I make lentils and linguini (I add tomato sauce to the soup bring it to a boil and cook linguini in it (the linguini sucks all the liquid up). We love soup. I use any left over roasted chicken for a quick chicken soup.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I only make and eat soup in the cold weather, and only for lunch.

I don't want soup for dinner, even with great bread or a wonderful salad.

Now, CHOWDER or STEW ..... that's different!

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
In the colder months we use soup & fresh bread as dinner quite frequently, but it's not something we eat during the warm months. I'll get a cup-o-soup when eating out, but not at home in the summer.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
think soup gets better a day or 2 post-cooking. luv thick beef stew, or chix stew. broccoli/cheese soup. lentil, split pea w/ hamhock, veggie, curried carrot......
chili. my ex used to beg fer me to make that.
luv soup. my own, restaurant, store-bought canned or purchased from thier cooked food bar, stews........

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm a year round soup eater. Just a big bowl of soup for lunch or dinner satisfies me, maybe a few crackers on the side depending on what type of soup it is. I usually don't make chili until it's colder.

Turkey and chicken carcasses usually turn into gumbo. Leftover rotisserie chicken usually turns into tortilla soup.

Lefty

Yank
Nice cool rainy day here. Going to make a hearty soup. Using up all the leftovers that I can.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
missed the primary point. see why we shouldn't flush prescription shades~

kitchen sink soup is a great one, as half the fridge's/pantry's contents could be placed into that. usually stretch that w/ canned & frozen veggies. i'll blend 'em w/ the fresh ones, containers of half-full holiday ones when they arrive (meat or veggies, if not both) or a few veggies remaining in my freezer that i wouldn't plain 'ol put in the garbage. barley.......

got another. my Dad used to take extra roast beef & shred that 4 beef-veggie soup, usually w/ kluski noodles.

my Pap used to pour chili over mashed potato.

extra chix was 'oft turned into soup. turkey, on holidays.

too humid fer soup tonite, or i'd make that.

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm a year round soup eater too! We just had loaded potato soup in bread bowls the other night for dinner! Yum!

I use leftovers all the time to make soup. I keep a freezer bag in the freezer just for leftover veggies, whenever the bag gets full, I make a veggie soup of some sort.

AllenOK

At work, we make two kinds of soup daily. One is a soup-of-the-week, the other is soup du jor. At least one day a week, I'm the one making the soups.

At home, we don't normally eat much soup during the hot seasons. Once it cools off, though, I go to town. Chicken Rice, Chicken Tortilla, Gumbo, Beef Stew, Clam Chowder, etc.

We have a Tomato Basil Bisque at work that is pretty good. I'm not normally into tomato soup, but I'd eat this stuff.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
In Winter, I do a soup every Sunday......... It gets eaten, some distributed, some frozen........
MexWeddingSoup020.jpg

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I tried to attach my Soup Collection, but it won't let me............
If anyone wants it, let me know.........

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I can eat soup year round. Lou usually prefers his soup in the cooler weather, but I've seen him order soup for a first course if it's something that interests him.
Growing up, we'd have soup as the meal. Marianne would put so much into a soup that it was hearty enough to be a meal. I've always done the same thing.
Having said all that, I do appreciate soup much more on a cool, damp day.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Any one have a good beef barley recipe? I love bb soup. :)

I have 2 versions I like to make:

Peep's Beef Barley Soup

1 lb beef (bottom round roast)
EVOO
Granulated Garlic powder
Onion powder
Goya Adobo seasoning (spice mix not the chilies paste)
Accent (or MSG) - optional
Salt
Ground peppercorn blend
Cayenne
Paprika

Cut beef into small cubes.
Coat with EVOO
Sprinkle with spices and toss well.
Heat heavy bottom pot (or pressure cooker).
Brown beef.

1 large tomato (≈ 410 grams)
1 medium Onion (≈ 102 grams)

Chop tomatoes and onion; medium dice.
Add tomatoes and onion to pot and cook till soft.

2 (32 oz) boxes Beef broth/stock
1 cup Burgundy Wine
2 tsp Beef Bouillon

Add to pot and bring to boil.
Reduce heat and simmer till beef is tender.

(Alternate Method: Pressure cooker - 30 minutes. Release pressure; remove cover and continue with recipe)

1/4 cup Dry Barley (≈ 62 grams)
1/4 cup lentils (≈ 62 grams)
1/4 cup green split peas (≈ 62 grams)
4 large stalks celery (≈ 256 grams)
4 large carrots (≈ 221 grams)
10 oz box Mushroom caps
1/2 cup Tiny bowtie pasta (or your favorite shape) (≈ 62 grams)
1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans; undrained (≈ 425 grams)

Clean, peel and chop celery and carrots; medium dice.
Wash and quarter mushroom caps.
Add barley, lentils, split peas, carrots, celery, mushrooms, pasta and beans to pot.
Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer till pasta and veggies are tender.
Taste and correct with ingredients below if necessary.

Salt
Ground peppercorns
Gravy Master

(not a very good picture)

010411_beef_barley_soup.jpg

Peep's Pot Roast Vegetable Barley Soup

This is a quick easy soup using left over pot roast and it's au jus.

Amounts depend on how much soup you want to make
Left over beef pot roast; chopped or pulled
Leftover pot roast braising liquid (mine was beefy onion soup mix, red wine, sliced mushrooms, ground pepper, water and gravy master)
Beef stock
Frozen mixed vegetables
Fresh Potatoes; chopped bite size (or canned)
Fresh tomato; chopped
Cooked Barley (I cooked the barley like pasta. Boiling salted water, add barley, cook till tender and drain)
Add everything BUT the barley to a pot and simmer till potato is tender and tomato breaks down a bit. (If using canned potato add potato AFTER tomato breaks down).
Add cooked barley stir and serve. (or add barley to each bowl of soup)

082311_vegetable_beef_barley_soup.jpg

phreak

We eat it year round, and after learning more and more about BPA's in store bought canned soups we've started making BIG batches. We have a meal out of it, and can the rest for lunches/quick dinners, without the BPA's!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Tomorrow I start my soup-a-week project. It may turn into an every other week though. First up, Mediterranean Kale Sausage and White Bean Soup from Fine Cooking. I was going to start today, but I decided to use dried beans instead of canned beans so I've got to soak the beans. I'm going to try to stay away from the canned stuff as much as possible. We'll see how that goes.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Tomorrow I start my soup-a-week project. It may turn into an every other week though. First up, Mediterranean Kale Sausage and White Bean Soup from Fine Cooking. I was going to start today, but I decided to use dried beans instead of canned beans so I've got to soak the beans. I'm going to try to stay away from the canned stuff as much as possible. We'll see how that goes.
OH YUM > I want some!!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Well, as usual I changed my mind. I ended up making 3 1/2 qts of Sausage Kale and Cannellini Bean soup last night. What I thought was dried white beans was navy beans :dizzy:, so I ended up using canned cannellinis. Staying away from the canned stuff sure didn't last very long :lol:.

Thanks Peep! I'll put the pic in the dinner thread.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Well, as usual I changed my mind. I ended up making 3 1/2 qts of Sausage Kale and Cannellini Bean soup last night. What I thought was dried white beans was navy beans :dizzy:, so I ended up using canned cannellinis. Staying away from the canned stuff sure didn't last very long :lol:.

Thanks Peep! I'll put the pic in the dinner thread.
I saw!! YUM need recipe
prettyplease.gif