Something new I tried recently

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Now these are called Hasselback Baked Potatoes and I started with these 4 recipes combined. I made them with a steak and they are good to say the least. Each method is a different recipe however the ingredients and cooking instructions are all dead on for the amount made. I use a garlic butter, olive oil, bread crumbs, paprika, coarse salt, to taste, Parmesan and some Truffle oil after cooked drizzled over them. Heck you could cover with what ever cheese or even bacon bits what ever you like on a baked potato.

Hasselbach Baked Potato.jpg

Hasselback Baked Potatoes

Method 1
Ingredients:
1 garlic clove, smashed
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
butter, as needed
3 Idaho® potatoes
Saffron, as needed
3 garlic cloves, sliced

Directions:

Simmer smashed garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil and a knob of butter in a small saucepan over low heat until ingredients are blended.
Place potatoes horizontally on a cutting board. Starting at one end, thinly slice each potato, cutting three quarters through potato. Be careful not to completely through potato.
Drizzle garlic oil mixture over potatoes and bake about 40 minutes in a 425*F oven, until exterior is crispy and interior is soft.
While potatoes are baking, heat saffron, sliced garlic and remaining olive oil in a saucepan over low heat. Slowly bring oil to a light simmer and when garlic is golden, remove pan from heat to infuse until potatoes are done.
When potatoes are done, strain saffron oil through a fine meshed strainer. Drizzle about a tablespoon of oil over each baked potato and serve.

-------------------------------
Method 2

This recipe, adapted from one served at Stockholm's popular old Restaurant Hasselbacken, proves just how easy and delicious potatoes can be. For best results, choose oblong potatoes of uniform size and trim if needed so they'll lie flat without wobbling as you cut into them. Prep: 15 minutes, Bake: 55 minutes.

Ingredients:
4 medium all-purpose potatoes (6 ounces each), peeled
1/3 cup butter, melted and divided
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon unseasoned fine dry breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 425°. Slice each potato crosswise at 1/8-inch intervals, cutting to within 1/4 inch of the bottom.

2. Arrange potatoes spoke-fashion in a buttered 10-inch pie dish. Drizzle 2 tablespoons melted butter evenly over potatoes, and sprinkle with salt.

3. Bake potatoes at 425° on middle oven rack for 30 minutes. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over potatoes, drizzle with remaining melted butter, and bake 20 more minutes.

4. Sprinkle cheese over potatoes, baste with butter in pan, and bake 5 more minutes or until potatoes are golden.

---------------------------------------------
Method 3

Ingredients:
8 (6 to 8 ounces each) long baking potatoes*
1/4 cup fresh-grated Parmesan Cheese (Parmigiano-Reggiano)
1/2 cup fine bread crumbs**
5 tablespoons butter (melted), divided
1 teaspoon paprika
Coarse salt, to taste
2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley (garnish), optional

* For best results, choose oblong potatoes of uniform size and trim.

** Learn how to Making Homemade Bread Crumbs.

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 450° degrees F. Oil a large shallow glass baking dish.

Peel the potatoes. Place the peeled potatoes on a cutting board and cut a narrow 1/4-inch slice from the bottom of each potato; discard the slice (this helps the potato lie flat and not roll).

Place two long handled wooden chopsticks on each side of the potato lengthwise. Use a sharp knife and slice each potato crosswise, making 1/4-inch apart slices, cutting down vertically. The chopsticks will prevent the knife from cutting entirely through the potato. You need to leave 1/4-inch of the bottom of the potato intact.

As you finish cutting each potato, drop them into cold water to prevent discoloring. Gently flex the potato fans open while rinsing under cold running water. This rids the potatoes of excess starch that can impede fanning. Dry potatoes well before baking.

NOTE: Potatoes may be prepared in advanced to the above point. Place potatoes in cold water (to prevent discoloring) until ready to bake. To bake, dry potatoes well.

Place the Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, 1 tablespoon melted butter, paprika, and salt in a food processor; process until blended.

Brush prepared potatoes with 2 tablespoons melted butter (making sure some gets in the potato cracks), and pat the prepared cheese/bread crumb mixture on top of each potato.

Place potatoes in the oiled baking dish; cover with aluminum foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil and bake an additional 15 minutes until they turn crispy and the flesh is soft. Potatoes are done when the internal temperature registers approximately 200 degrees F. on your cooking thermometer.

Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 45 min

-------------------------------------
Method 4

"This Swedish dish takes its name from Hasselbacken, the Stockholm restaurant where it was first served. The seasoned potatoes turn out crisp on the outside and tender on the inside."

Ingredients:
4 (8 ounce) baking potatoes
2 tablespoons butter, melted
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons finely grated fresh Romano cheese
1 tablespoon seasoned dry bread crumbs

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
2. Peel the potatoes, and place in bowl of cold water to prevent browning. Place potatoes into a large wooden or metal spoon. Using a sharp knife, make slices across the potato the short way about 1/8 to 1/4 inch apart, making sure to cut down to the lip of the spoon, not all the way through the potato. The slices should stay connected at the bottom, and the spoon helps keep the depth even. Return the potato to the bowl of water, and proceed with the remaining potatoes.
3. When all of the potatoes are cut, place them cut side up in a shallow baking dish or small roasting pan. Drizzle with half of the butter, then season with salt and pepper.
4. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from the oven, and drizzle with the remaining butter. Sprinkle Romano cheese and bread crumbs onto the tops of the otatoes, and season with a little more salt and pepper. Return to the oven, and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until nicely browned.

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 55 Minutes
Ready In: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
Servings: 4

joec

Gold Site Supporter

chilefarmer

I to have made potatoes like that, Super good. tip that works for me. Place potato on couple chop sticks when slicing, makes it much easier. CF

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We are making a couple tonight also with some steaks I grilled. I used Ghee this time between the slices as well as the cheese during the first 30 minutes and added a garlic/herb blend butter, more cheese and truffle oil for the last 10 minutes with of course some smoke paprika and bacon salt over the top. I also use panko for bread crumbs this time instead of the usual Italian bread crumbs.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OMG, Joe! Ambrosia!

Chilefarmer, I used 2 wooden spoons, but I think chopsticks might be better - thanks!

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have several pieces of the Cherry wood used to build my cutting boards that I use for just such a purpose. I've sanded them and finished them the same as my cutting board. I have them from 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" thick x 4" Long x 1.5" wide. Those spacers and a sharp knife no problem slicing them thin at all.