Soda Cracker Pie

Ian M.

This is an old family recipe my mother found in a cookbook from my grandmother and passed it on to me when I started school. We love this stuff! Saturday, at the market, I happened to find some really pretty-looking peaches and when I got them home I found them all to be hard as bricks. One of Mum's tricks was to put them into a brown paper bag and keep them in there for a day or two to "ripen" sufficiently. It works! Now they're ready to become pie........................

Ingredients:

3 egg whites
1 cup sugar
16 finely rolled out soda crackers - pulverized as much as possible
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 tsp. vanilla

Directions:

Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add sugar gradually, continuing to beat at each addition. Beat in soda cracker crumbs to which baking powder has been added. Stir in nuts and vanilla. Spread in buttered 9" pie pan and bake at 325 degrees F. for 30 minutes. Cool and cover with layers of fresh peaches and top with whipped cream. Chill. Other fruits that work well with this unique crust are strawberries and other firm fruits like that. This crust is the most lucious thing you'll ever put in your mouth. :margarita::piesmiley1:I don't know how the drink got in here but I'll leave it alone - a little tequilla never hurts anything!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mmmmmm sure sounds good Ian. We'll have to try this one soon. :thumb:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
That pie crust is what a lot of the mennonite ladies use to make their pies around here, and yes.. it is melt in your mouth delicious!

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
This is an old family recipe my mother found in a cookbook from my grandmother and passed it on to me when I started school. We love this stuff! Saturday, at the market, I happened to find some really pretty-looking peaches and when I got them home I found them all to be hard as bricks. One of Mum's tricks was to put them into a brown paper bag and keep them in there for a day or two to "ripen" sufficiently. It works! Now they're ready to become pie........................

Ingredients:

3 egg whites
1 cup sugar
16 finely rolled out soda crackers - pulverized as much as possible
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 tsp. vanilla

Directions:

Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add sugar gradually, continuing to beat at each addition. Beat in soda cracker crumbs to which baking powder has been added. Stir in nuts and vanilla. Spread in buttered 9" pie pan and bake at 325 degrees F. for 30 minutes. Cool and cover with layers of fresh peaches and top with whipped cream. Chill. Other fruits that work well with this unique crust are strawberries and other firm fruits like that. This crust is the most lucious thing you'll ever put in your mouth. :margarita::piesmiley1:I don't know how the drink got in here but I'll leave it alone - a little tequilla never hurts anything!

Question: What are Soda Crackers?