soaking a ham...?

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
If I do a smoked ham (presmoked...the kind you might do for easter dinner) I usually soak it overnight in water to get some of that salt out.

I bought a Smithfield Virginia ham in Williamsburg last week. This thing is so salt cured and smoked that it doesn't require refrigeration. I was reading some literature in their shop and it suggested soaking in milk and water. I'm up for that...

Anyone else ever hear of this, or try it??

I know what milk does to chicken...think the results will be similar?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i have not heard it for ham but thats how they do salt cod..soak in water and milk.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I like to soak my country hams in water for a couple of days, changing the water every 12 hours before cooking. Then I like to put a sweet/acidic glaze on it like coca-cola or dr. pepper.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
We aslo use milk or buttermilk to soak wild game in to remove some of the gamey taste. It works quite well.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
If you can, let it soak overnight in the fridge. The longer the better. Works great on deer.....but there still isn't much you can do about deer ribs! :huh:

Strip the meat and have Bam make sausage out of it. :thumb:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
UPS....Dry Ice.......you ready yet???? :lol:

i tried to UPS a friend of mine a rack of ribs from Michigan to Saskatchewan Canada.... needless to say i could have driven there cheaper and cooked them for him... i ate the ribs..lol