Smoking cheese

Johnny West

Leftover orange chicken and rice tonight.

Cold smoking some fresh Colby cheese from Colby Wisconsin for something to do today.

View attachment 41353
Longhorn is hard to find out here. I was spoiled growing up in NE Iowa. The little burg close to my home town had a cheese factory that made longhorn. They shipped the cheese to Wisconsin and aged it there with a Kraft stamp and Made in Wisconsin stamp. My dad would buy green horns and age it in our basement. When I got older and on my own, I did, too. It made the best Mac and cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches.

what wood do you use for smoke? I’d be afraid I’d melt the cheese in my Weber grill.

Ironman

🍺
Longhorn is hard to find out here. I was spoiled growing up in NE Iowa. The little burg close to my home town had a cheese factory that made longhorn. They shipped the cheese to Wisconsin and aged it there with a Kraft stamp and Made in Wisconsin stamp. My dad would buy green horns and age it in our basement. When I got older and on my own, I did, too. It made the best Mac and cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches.

what wood do you use for smoke? I’d be afraid I’d melt the cheese in my Weber grill.
I used apple wood. I put them in my smoker with a smoke tube. I never fired it up. It was 59* inside the smoker. I have an option to run the fan at 30% to keep the smoke moving. You could do this on a regular Weber charcoal grill with a tube I’d think.

AA099964-103D-4ED2-9888-2686DC92ED43.jpeg

Ironman

🍺
I’ll look into that. Looks interesting...
I forgot to mention I have a pellet smoker, so I had fruit wood pellets on hand for the pellet tube. 1.5 hours and then seal it up in a food vac and let it rest for at least 2 weeks in the fridge. I’m no expert - my first time. ;) :mrgreen:

Johnny West

I forgot to mention I have a pellet smoker, so I had fruit wood pellets on hand for the pellet tube. 1.5 hours and then seal it up in a food vac and let it rest for at least 2 weeks in the fridge. I’m no expert - my first time. ;) :mrgreen:
We should have a separate thread on this at another section.

I do have a bag of alder pellets I just remembered I have.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Many tears ago, I smoked a couple of chunks of cheese, cheddar and gouda, on my WSM. I picked a cold day in March so that the smoker wouldn't get too hot. I used 3 Kingsford briquets as per instructions from somewhere. Sat out there, huddled next to the smoker for a couple of hours, watching that the cooker temp didn't get higher than 90 degrees.

The smoked cheeses were really good, but at the time I decided that storebought was worth the price. :)

However, now that technology has advanced, as Ironman has shown, it may be worth another go.

Lee