1 medium Onion, chopped
1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
4 stalks Celery, chopped
3 cloves Garlic, chopped
1 to 1.5 lb Smoked Sausage , cut into rounds

1 Bay Leaf
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 cups Chicken Stock
1 can Diced Tomatoes (with juice, 14.5 oz)
1.5 cups Rice, uncooked
1 Tbsp Creole Seasoning

Outdoor Dutch Oven: 10”
Coals: 24 – 12 Bottom, 10 Top
Cook Time: 1 hour

Procedure

Start your coals and let the DO heat for 10 minutes. Now add the Cajun Holy Trinity (chopped Celery, Onion, and Green Bell Pepper), the garlic, and the sausage. Cover with the lid and allow to cook 10 minutes. Now stir and cover once more and let cook 10 minutes.

At this point, you are 30 minutes into your coals, and they are good for 1 to 1.25 hours.

Now add all of the remaining ingredients and stir well to incorporate. Cover, and let cook undisturbed for 20 minutes. After that time, check and stir. You’re 50 minutes into your coals, but the CI DO retains heat very well, and there is still enough coal left to finish this off. Put the lid back on, and let it cook undisturbed another 15 minutes.

After that time, remove the coals, brush off the DO, and bring the DO in. Let it rest 10 minutes and residual heat will finish everything off. When ready to serve, stir and fluff lightly, then spoon to your plates or bowls.

Notes

This dish is very versatile, and there are as many ways to make it as there are quills on a porcupine. This is my rendition, and one that I grew up with. Of particular interest is the old school motto that this dish must be cooked in well seasoned cast iron. It doesn’t have to be done outdoors as I did, but can instead be done on the stove or even in the oven.

Typically it uses Andouille sausage, but since that tends to be hot, I opted for Smoked Kielbasa Sausage as Lisa isn’t a fan of the heat. If you like it hot, get a hot sausage, and add some Cayenne pepper as well. You can also add ham, chicken, or shrimp in any combination you like so that you have 1.5 lbs of meat. If you use shrimp, add it the last 8 or so minutes of cooking.

This recipe is easily doubled or tripled if need be. The basic formula for cooking with dry rice is 2x the liquid for the dry rice. I used 1.5 cups of dry rice, so I needed at least 3 cups of liquid. You’ll notice I only used 2 cups of chicken stock. That’s because the DO is very efficient with a tight, near air-tight seal. There was quite a bit of moisture in the DO after the veggies had cooked for 20 minutes, so with that liquid, the tomato liquid, and the 2 cups stock, I was set for all the liquid needed for the 1.5 cups of rice. If you cook this on the stove top where evaporation could be an issue, you’ll want to add more liquid (about a cup or less). Consider adding a light beer!

Mis en place.
Step_1-74.jpg

Veggies and sausage in for the first step of cooking.
Step_6-47.jpg

Step_7-38.jpg

Step_8-29.jpg

Step_2-73.jpg

Now ready to add the remaining ingredients.
Step_3-66.jpg

Everything is in and ready to cook.
Step_4-61.jpg

Give it a stir in the final stretch.
Step_5-54.jpg

Believe it or not, even though you use hot coals on the lid, a nice rub with oil and its perfectly back to new. Got to love it.
Step_9-24.jpg

Finally, a big DO full of goodness.
Step_9a-12.jpg

Plate it up and enjoy.
Step_9b-7.jpg

Last edited:

chowhound

Very nice, Keltin.
And good explanation of the liquid to rice ratio. I wing it and sometimes things come out to thick. Now I have a ratio as a guidline :^)

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Very nice, Keltin.
And good explanation of the liquid to rice ratio. I wing it and sometimes things come out to thick. Now I have a ratio as a guidline :^)

If you have a little too much liquid you can probably thicken it up with a little filé powder to keep it Cajun.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
mmmmm!!! That penultimate photo, of the finished jambalaya in the pot, really got me!

Beautiful, Keltin!

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I have got to make this. I have some andouille in the freezer :brows:. Great post and pictures. :clap:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks guys! The interesting thing about cooking in the Outdoor DO is the coals slowly burn down thus regulating the heat properly so this doesn’t burn. If you cook this indoors, I’d suggest a good DO with a lid. Start on the stove top, and once you add the rice and liquid, put it in a 350 degree oven. Check it after 20 minutes, then every 10 there after. Once the liquid is nearly absorbed, take the DO out of the oven and let is sit for 10 minutes. Doing it this way will simulate cooking with coals by giving you 360 degrees of heat on your DO. This way the heat source isn’t directly under your DO which could cause the rice to burn or stick towards the end – unless you’re diligent and watch and stir it often.

Blues Man

That looks great Keltin .............

It looks great with the Smoked Kielbasa Sausage but oh to be able to even get true Andouille sausage. Pretty hard to find up here in Northern Indiana.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Dag, thhat looks GOOD, Keith!!

I made that once and I want to do it again.

Only i don't have a fireplace or that type of cast iron kettle, so I'll have to improvise and use my 5-qt stovetop cast iron Dutch oven. That'll work! :chef:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Beautiful Keltin. I loved reading your original post - your instructions and pics make it very easy to follow. Thanks so much for going to so much trouble...I'll bet it tasted SO good.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
mmmmmm Not even 7 a.m. and my mouth is watering!

Thanks a lot, K! :)

Lee