Singer David Olney, 71, dead after after suffering heart attack while performing

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Singer David Olney, 71, dead after after suffering heart attack while performing
By Nate Day | Fox News

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/david-olney-singer-heart-attack-death

Folk singer-songwriter David Olney has died after he suffered an apparent heart attack Saturday while performing at the 30A Songwriters Festival in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida, a fellow performer said. Olney was 71.

Amy Rigby, who was with Olney at the time, shared the news on Facebook.

"David Olney, a beautiful man, a legend, a songwriting poet died last night," she wrote. "I was sitting next to him in the round, had been so honored and looking forward to getting to trade songs with him and Scott Miller. Olney was in the middle of his third song when he stopped, apologized and shut his eyes."
app-facebook
Amy Rigby
on Sunday
David Olney, a beautiful man, a legend, a songwriting poet died last night. I was sitting next to him in the round, had been so honored and looking forward to getting to trade songs with him and Scott Miller. Olney was in the middle of his third song when he stopped, apologized and shut his eyes. He was very still, sitting upright with his guitar on, wearing the coolest hat and a beautiful rust suede jacket we laughed about because it was raining like hell outside the boathouse where we were playing- I just want the picture to be as graceful and dignified as it was, because it at first looked like he was just taking a moment. Scott Miller had the presence of mind to say we needed to revive him. Doctors in the audience and 30A folks were all working so hard to get him to come to. It's hard to post about this because I can't really believe he's gone. I am so sorry for his wife and family and friends and all the people who loved him and his music. Even those who never heard of him. We all lost someone important last night.
He was very still, sitting upright with his guitar on, wearing the coolest hat and a beautiful rust suede jacket we laughed about because it was raining like hell outside the boathouse where we were playing- I just want the picture to be as graceful and dignified as it was, because it at first looked like he was just taking a moment," Rigby's statement continued. "Scott Miller had the presence of mind to say we needed to revive him. Doctors in the audience and 30A folks were all working so hard to get him to come to."

Rigby said it was a difficult post to make because she "can't really believe" that her fellow musician has passed.

"I am so sorry for his wife and family and friends and all the people who loved him and his music," Rigby, 61 concluded. "Even those who never heard of him. We all lost someone important last night."

Miller, who was also on stage, also wrote about the event on Facebook.

"Last night we lost David Olney, one of the finest songwriters I have had the pleasure of playing with and knowing," he wrote. "When I did my first show with him (maybe 5-6 years ago) my friend Robin Williams said, 'Oh, you are in for a treat' and indeed I was. What a force. What a writer. And what a nice guy."
app-facebook
Scott Miller
on Sunday
Last night we lost David Olney, one of the finest songwriters I have had the pleasure of
playing with and knowing. When I did my first show with him ( maybe 5-6 years ago) my friend Robin Williams said, “Oh, you are in for a treat” and indeed I was. What a force. What a writer.
And what a nice guy. We always talked of Anne McCue, Robin and Linda Williams and who saw them last; last night we also spoke of our mutual love for Modernist Poetry. Then we started our set in the round with Amy Rigby.
David was playing a song when he paused, said “I’m sorry” and put his chin to his chest. He never dropped his guitar or fell off his stool. It was as easy and gentle as he was.
We got him down and tried our best to revive him until the EMT’s arrived.
The world lost a good one last night. But we still have his work. And it still inspires. And always will. RIP.

Miller, 51, reminisced about spending time with Olney and their mutual love of modernist poetry.

"David was playing a song when he paused, said 'I’m sorry' and put his chin to his chest," Miller wrote. "He never dropped his guitar or fell off his stool. It was as easy and gentle as he was. We got him down and tried our best to revive him until the EMT’s arrived. The world lost a good one last night. But we still have his work. And it still inspires. And always will. RIP."

Olney released 20 albums over the course of his career.

His sounds would be covered by the likes of Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt, Del McCoury and Steve Young.

David Olney, seen here performing in Denver in 2015, died after suffering a heart attack Saturday. (Larry Hulst/Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images, File)

Attachments

• 110B4902-FAEF-4A9C-91ED-B5FD76FE882A.jpg
    110B4902-FAEF-4A9C-91ED-B5FD76FE882A.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 144

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I read your post as 71 dead of heart attack while performing. :eek:

RIP David.

Sad to say, and hard to admit, I had not heard of him. I thought I was up on musical artists but I missed him all together. :(