Shaker Lemon Pie

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
This recipe is from Cooks Country. I saw them make it on the show a week or two ago and it looked amazing. The original recipe dates bake to the 1800's and was created by the Shakers in Ohio.

Shaker Lemon Pie

Serves 8

You will need 6 tablespoons of lemon juice for this recipe. Have an extra lemon on hand in case the 3 sliced lemons do not yield enough juice.

Ingredients
  • 1 double-crust pie dough
  • 3 large lemons, sliced extremely thin and seeded (I used a mandolin)
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon heavy cream
Instructions
  • 1. Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 425 degrees. Line a 9-inch pie plate with 1 dough round and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  • 2. Squeeze lemon slices in fine-mesh strainer set over bowl; reserve juice (you should have 6 tablespoons). Bring drained slices and 2 cups water to boil in saucepan, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until slices are softened, about 5 minutes. Drain well and discard liquid. Combine softened lemon slices, sugar, salt, and 1/4 cup reserved lemon juice in bowl; stir until sugar dissolves.
  • 3. Whisk cornstarch and remaining lemon juice in large bowl. Whisk eggs into cornstarch mixture, then slowly stir in lemon slice mixture, then slowly stir in lemon slice mixture until combined. Pour into chilled pie shell. Brush edges of dough with 1 teaspoon cream and top with remaining dough round. Seal, crimp edges, and brush top of dough with remaining cream. Using paring knife, cut 4 vents in top of dough.
  • 4. Bake until light golden, about 20 minutes, then decrease oven temperature to 375 degrees and continue to bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on wire rack for at least 1 hour. Serve. (Pie can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated for 2 days.)
It's cooling now. It smells wonderful! The only thing I did differently was that I cooked the lemon slices for about 15 minutes because I wanted to make sure that the pie wouldn't be bitter. Now, I just have to wait until it cools. :readytoeat:

Attachments

• shaker-lemon-pie.jpg
    shaker-lemon-pie.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
They have a Shaker Village not far from me here in Kentucky. http://www.shakervillageky.org/

The pie sounds super too Mama and I've saved if I ever decide to bake which is not my thing. Perhaps I can get the wife to make it.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
You really need to try it joe....it really is wonderful! If you are a fan of "all things lemon" like I am, you'll love it.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OMG, MAMA!!!

Stupendous!!!!

I so wish I had a slice of that!

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Lee! It's not at all hard to make. I used my own pie crust recipe but if you use a store bought crust, it wouldn't take any effort at all to make.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
You really need to try it joe....it really is wonderful! If you are a fan of "all things lemon" like I am, you'll love it.

That makes two of us then, Mama. :wink: I remember my grandmother making lemon meringue pies with 2.5" of meringue. My favorite donuts are lemon filled from Krispy Kreme also. Key Lime is another favorite of mine but a different story. I might just get my wife to give this a shot this weekend. Every time I try to bake the crust gets me. Don't know what it is about dough and me other than pasta dough. :bonk:

Mr. Green Jeans

Sounds dee-lish thanks for posting Mama. Just wondering if the same could be done with limes providing you kept the volume equal.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mmmmmm GREAT pic Mama. That looks absolutely delicious. :tiphat: This is now on my short list of things to try. I can't wait. :)

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Tried the "Shaker Lemon Pie" this weekend. I helped by slicing and squeezing the lemons ....DW put the ingredients together and she made it PERFECT!!!!! It was awesome. I have a pic but it's on my phone ....I'll get it added eventually. :D

Attachments

• ShakerLemonPie.JPG
    ShakerLemonPie.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 208
Doc, your pie looks absolutely wonderful! I wish I could get a pie crust to come out looking like that! I guess I'll always think of this particular pie as ChileFarmer's pie because I first heard of it and saw it from him. He made it quite some time ago and sent us a photo of his - he put pastry decorations on top, little birds that were so pretty and delicate. He said that the pie was a bit more sour than he personally preferred (he's got a very deep-rooted sweet tooth, so I understand what he thought) but it sounds like something we'd certainly like. I'm going to get some lemons over next weekend and give it a whirl.

Fallon :clap:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
BEAUTIFUL Doc!!!!!! We really enjoyed it too! It's both sweet and tart.

I think you'll really like it Fallon!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc, your pie looks absolutely wonderful! I wish I could get a pie crust to come out looking like that! I guess I'll always think of this particular pie as ChileFarmer's pie because I first heard of it and saw it from him. He made it quite some time ago and sent us a photo of his - he put pastry decorations on top, little birds that were so pretty and delicate. He said that the pie was a bit more sour than he personally preferred (he's got a very deep-rooted sweet tooth, so I understand what he thought) but it sounds like something we'd certainly like. I'm going to get some lemons over next weekend and give it a whirl.

Fallon :clap:
Funny you should mention the crust Fallon, and I do totally agree, it looks great.

My wife made the pie and as she did everything in the recipe mama posted she was nearing the end and was thinking why did it call for whipping cream? It never called for it anywhere. Then she saw that she was to brush the whipping cream on the edges of the crust and on top of the pie crust. :thumb: Both she and I think that made a difference in the crust coming out looking so scrumptious.