Sea Salt

waybomb

I don't get it - what's with usage of sea salt?

It has much higher levels of trace heavy metals and much more iodine than regular table salt. Table salt is almost pure, but the natural and organic people use the sea salt?

Stussy's_Angel

I think it's about sodium content. I could be wrong but it's my understanding that sea salt has less sodium in it. Oh, and some iodine is required for a healthy diet. I could have sworn than my sea salt said it didn't contain iodine... or less than table salt did?!

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Culinary SaltAs we browse recipes it is common to see other types of salts besides common table salt in the ingredient list. The most common variations are Kosher and Sea Salt. This is a pictorial guide to the types of salts and their suggested application in a recipe.

Culinary Salt Descriptions

How Salt Is Made
All culinary salts are derived by evaporation. Table salt is made by driving water into a salt deposit (in a mine). This process forms a brine which is then evaporated leaving dried "cube-like crystals that look like granulated sugar". The salt is then refined. Kosher salt is made in a similar fashion except the brine is raked continually during the evaporation process. The resulting product has a light and flaky texture. Sea salt is evaporated sea water. All salts are nutritionally the same. Sea salt has trace amounts of minerals not found in mined salt.

blacksalt.gif

Black saltnamed Kala Namak in India, is really a blend of minerals characterized by a strong sulfur odor. It is commonly used in snack foods in North India.Fleur de Sel de Guérande is the premier quality of Grey Sea Salt from France. Before the evaporation process is complete a light film of salt forms. This is harvested and sold as Fleur de Sel. (See more about Grey salt below).

greysalt.jpg

g r e y s e a s a l t
Grey salt (sometimes sold as "gray" salt) sel gris is organic sea salt from the coastal area of Guérande, Brittany, France. The salt is "moist" and unrefined. It remains a light grey, almost light purple color because of the clay from the salt flats where it is collected. The salt is not collected by machine but by hand using traditional Celtic methods. It is available in coarse or stoneground fine grain. It is considered by many to be the best quality salt available. This salt has really gained fame in the main stream culinary world in the last few of years.
Hawaiian sea salt is produced from the Hawaiian waters. A natural mineral called "Alaea" (a red clay from Kauai rich in iron oxide) is added to the salt to add beneficial trace elements to the product. This natural additive is what gives the salt it's distinctive pink color. It is said to have a more mellow flavor than regular sea salt.

kosher2.jpg

k o s h e r s a l t Kosher salt is an additive-free coarse-grained salt. It is used in the production of Kosher meats to draw blood out of the meat. (Read more about the Koshering process) The salt is also preferred by some chefs because it disperses more readily. By nature of it's "flake" texture it melts easily and is lighter (less dense) than table salt.
Lite salt is a mixture of salt and another substance such as potassium chloride. Read the label. Don't bother using these products unless you have a medical reason to do so.
Pickling Salt - Pickling salt is fine-grained salt that does not contain iodine or anti-caking preservatives which cause darkened pickles and cloudy brine.

Popcorn Salt - This is just a superfine, flakier crystal version of table salt. We can't think of any real good reason to use it.
Pretzel Salt - A large-grained salt that does not melt quickly. The preferred salt for pretzels, salted bread sticks.
Rock Salt - Is a large crystal salt that is a slightly grayish color. It is less refined and still contains minerals that are removed from normal table salt. Rock salt is has a few culinary uses such as in mechanical ice cream makers and is sometimes used a a bed for serving certain types of shellfish.
Salt substitutes, are available for people on low-salt diets. They contain little or no sodium normally made of potassium chloride.
seafine.jpg

f i n e s e a s a l t

Sea salt is produced by evaporating sea water. This process is more expensive than salt produced from mines. Sea salt comes in fine-grained or larger crystals. Many of these salts are refined and use some of the same additives as table salt. Read labels carefully. The crystal variety can be crushed in a mortar and pestle or a salt grinder.
seacoarse.jpg

c o a r s e s e a s a l t
Seasoned salt is regular table salt blended with other herbs such as celery, onion, and garlic.
Smoked Salt has become very popular in the culinary scene. High quality smoked salt has actually been smoked with specialty woods such as Alder Smoked Salt or Fume de Sel - Chardonnay Smoked Salt which is smoked in old wine barrels. Lower grade salts just have artificially smoked flavoring added. Smoked salt can be used on meats, fish or vegetables.

Sour salt is not salt at all but it is citric acid. It is used to add an extra tart flavor to sour dough and rye breads. It may be used in canning to prevent fruit from turning dark.

Table salt is the most commonly used salt. It is a fine-grained and looks the same in appearance as fine grained sea salt. Iodized salt is just table salt with Iodine added.

GourmetSleuth's Culinary Salts
Try some of our intriguing culinary salts available now at Gourmetsleuth.com:

Fume de Sel - Chardonnay Smoked Salt- The best of the best! Fumée de Sel.This is unlike any smoked sea salt available. Know as the "caviar of salts" our smoked Fleur de Sel is cold smoked with Chardonnay oak chips to preserve the mineral content and natural flavor of the salt. 6 oz in reusable tin.
Salish

Peugeot Salt Mill - Designed specifically for use with moist salts, won't clog, rust or corrode.

Deadly Sushi

ALSO........................

Gourmet Sea Salt: Reference Guide

Until recently salt was considered a basic commodity - salt was just salt! Now however, gourmet chefs, in homes and in restaurants, have learned to appreciate and distinguish between the distinctive qualities of the many varieties of sea salts and how these salts enhance the flavors and finish of foods. The purpose of this reference guide is to point out the distinguishing differences among these salts and to our customers choose the perfect salt for their cooking needs.

Black Salt
Black salt is an unrefined mineral salt. It is actually a pearly pinkish gray rather than black, and has a strong, sulfuric flavor. Uses: Use in authentic Indian cooking.

Celtic Salt
or French Grey Sea Salt
Celtic salt refers to naturally moist salts harvested from the pristine Atlantic seawater off the coast of Brittany, France. These salts, which are rich in trace mineral content, are hand harvested using the Celtic method of wooden rakes allowing no metal to touch the salt.

Coarse Salt
Coarse salt is a larger grained sea salt crystal. Most recipes calling for salt intend using finely ground salt, however, many professional chefs prefer cooking with coarse salt because they can easily measure it with their fingers. It is less moisture sensitive so it resists caking and is easily stored. Uses: Salt crusts on meat or fish, and flavoring for soups, stews and pasta.

Finishing Salts
Premier salts that are grown in special areas around world and are known for their unique textures which allow them to quickly dissolve when applied to food at presentation. These salts bring out the depth of natural flavors of any dish. Flake Salt, Fleur De Sel, French Sea Sal

Flake Salt
Flake sea salt is a light crystal reminiscent of snowflakes. Seawaters are evaporated using the natural processes of sun and wind producing salt brine that is fed into an open evaporating pan. The brine is then slowly heated to the point where delicate pyramids shaped crystals of salt appear. The finished product is light, flaky sea salt.

Fleur de Sel
Other Names: Flower of Salt, Flor De Sal (Portuguese)

Fleur de Sel (flower of salt) is the premier condiment salt. This artisan sea salt is comprised of "young" crystals that form naturally on the surface of salt evaporation ponds. They are hand harvested under specific weather conditions by traditional "Paludiers" (salt farmers). True Fleur de Sel comes from the Guérande region of France. Like fine wine regions, different areas within Guérande produce salts with their own unique flavors and aroma profiles. Uses: Ideal for salads, cooked fresh vegetables and grilled meats.

French Sea Salt
French sea salts are harvested from pristine Atlantic seawater. Unlike most American Sea salts, they are usually unrefined, so they retain more of the trace minerals that naturally occur in seawater. These minerals include natural iodine. Uses: Ideal for salads, cooked fresh vegetables and grilled meat.

Grey Salt
Other Names: Sel Gris, Celtic Sea Salt
Grey Salt is a “moist” unrefined sea salt usually found on the coastal areas of France. Its light grey, almost light purple color comes from the clay found in the salt flats. The salt is collected by hand using traditional Celtic methods. Grey Salt has gained great fame in the mainstream culinary world in the last few years and is considered by many to be the best quality salt available.

Grinder Salt
Grinder salts are typically large dry crystals suitable to a salt mill or grinder. The white salt crystals are easy to grind in the mills and the lower moisture content allows the salt to flow through with little hassle. Uses: For flavoring foods at the table when the host determines that a finer, higher grade finishing salt is not required. Note: Always use a salt mill with a ceramic or plastic grinding mechanism. Metal, including stainless steel, will corrode and adversely flavor the salt.

Alaea Sea Salt
Alaea Sea Salt is a traditional Hawaiian table salt used to season and preserve. A natural mineral called "Alaea" (volcanic baked red clay) is added to enrich the salt with iron oxide. This natural additive is what gives the salt its distinctive pink color. The clay imparts a subtle flavor that is said to be mellower than regular sea salt. Uses: It is the traditional and authentic seasoning for native Hawaiian dishes such as Kalua Pig, Poke and Hawaiian Jerky. Also good on prime rib and pork loin.

Italian Sea Salt
Italian sea salt is produced from the low waters of the Mediterranean Sea along the coast of Sicily. It is a natural salt rich in minerals such as iodine, fluorine, magnesium and potassium with a much lower percentage of sodium chloride than regular table salt. The salt pans are filled with the seawater in the spring and left to evaporate relying on the heat of the Sicilian sun and strong African winds. Harvesting takes place once the water has evaporated and it is crushed and ground without further refining. These salts have a delicate taste and plenty of flavor without being too strong or salty. Uses: Highlight salads, finish roasts and sauces. Great as a garnish on bruschetta.

Kosher Salt
Kosher Salt is regular salt that is so named for its use in the preparation of meat according to the requirements of Jewish dietary guidelines. It contains fewer additives, and has a more salty taste than ordinary table salt. It generally comes in flakes rather than granules. The flakes dissolve easily, and have a less pungent flavor than table salt. Due to the shape of the granules, there is simply less salt in a pinch of kosher salt than in a pinch of table salt. This is the kind of salt most often used on top of pretzels and on the rims of margarita glasses. It is important to note that all Kosher salt is not necessarily sea salt. Kosher salt comes in fine and coarse grain.

Sea Salt

Sea salt is a broad term that generally refers to unrefined salt derived directly from a living ocean or sea. It is harvested through channeling ocean water into large clay trays and allowing the sun and wind to evaporate it naturally. Manufacturers of sea salt typically do not refine sea salt as much as other kinds of salt, so it still contains traces of other minerals, including iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium, manganese, zinc and iodine. Proponents of sea salt rave about its bright, pure, clean flavor, and about the subtleties lent to it by these other trace minerals. Some of the most common sources for sea salt include the Mediterranean Sea, the North Sea, and the Atlantic Ocean (particularly in France, on the coast of Brittany). Sea salt is thought to be healthier and more flavorful that traditional table salt.

Smoked Sea Salt
Smoked Sea Salts are a relatively new and exciting gourmet salt in the US! They are naturally smoked over real wood fires to infuse the salt crystals with 100% natural smoke flavor. Smoked Sea Salts add a unique flavor to a wide range of dishes including roasts, chicken, salads and sandwiches. Unlike artificially infused smoke flavored salts all of our smoked sea salts are naturally smoked. Uses: Great when grilling or oven roasting. This is a must when cooking Salmon. Also adds an authentic smoke house flavor to soups, salads, pasta and sandwiches.

Table Salt

Table salt is the most common kind of salt found in the average kitchen. It usually comes from salt mines and once it's mined, it is refined and most minerals are removed from it until it is pure sodium chloride. Most table salt is available either plain or iodized. American salt manufacturers began iodizing salt in the 1920's, in cooperation with the government, after people in some parts of the country were found to be suffering from goiter, an enlargement of the thyroid gland caused by an easily-preventable iodine deficiency. People require less than 225 micrograms of iodine a day. Seafood as well as sea salt contains iodine naturally and the supplement is unnecessary if there are sufficient quantities of either in one's diet. Note: Natural sea salt is a healthy replacement for ordinary table salt.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Interesting question Fred. We had dinner at Red Lobster tonight and darn if they didn't have peppercorn pepper for us to grind and sea salt on the table for us to use as we wanted. After reading this thread I had to try it. Bigger crystals but otherwise I didn't notice the difference.

Great post Sushi. That helps a whole lot. Good job!!!!!!

waybomb

I was working on a new curing process and learned alot about all-natural sea salt. Believe me, good old fashioned Morton's Iodized is better for you.

All Natural Sea Salt has more iodine and absolutley has heavy metals in it. In fact, the heavy metals in sea salt was causing an undesirable effect to a new process. I really can't get into more than that, but I'd stay away from "All Natural Sea Salt". Go for the refined sea salt. Or regular old Morton's.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good info Fred. I got busy and forgot to add the "Food Safety" forum you recommended. I'll get er done today. :thumb:

BigAl

All Natural Sea Salt has more iodine and absolutley has heavy metals in it. In fact, the heavy metals in sea salt was causing an undesirable effect to a new process. I really can't get into more than that, but I'd stay away from "All Natural Sea Salt". Go for the refined sea salt. Or regular old Morton's.

Wow ! I was told just the opposite! I guess I better go reread my label .:oops: Sorry about posting misinformation earlier ........

Deadly Sushi

yeah I thought the sea salt was better. :confused:

here is what the doctor says:
Answer

Sea salt and table salt have the same nutritional value. The real differences between sea salt and table salt are in their taste and texture.
Sea salt is harvested from seawater through evaporation. Table salt is typically from rock salt, which is mined from mineral deposits. Both types of salt can be fully refined, and the end result is pure sodium chloride. Variations in the refining process result in different forms of salt.
Table salt is a fine-grained salt that often contains added iodine (iodized salt). Iodine is necessary for normal thyroid function. Some table salt may also contain anti-caking ingredient.
Sea salt is available in fine or coarse grain. Sea salt has a slightly different taste than table salt because of different minerals it contains. Many people prefer sea salt to table salt because they claim it has a more subtle flavor. Sea salt doesn't contain iodine or any other additives. However, if you use sea salt you typically don't have to worry about not getting enough iodine in your diet because iodine is available in many other foods, including dairy products, seafood and many processed foods.
If you favor foods with fewer additives, you may prefer sea salt. But there's no evidence that the additives in table salt are harmful to your health. Although your body needs some sodium to function properly, most people eat too much, which can lead to high blood pressure. Whether you use sea salt, table salt or some other type of salt, most experts recommend between 1,500 and 2,300 milligrams of sodium a day for healthy adults.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I went to a co-op market over the weekend to get some small quantities of bulk herbs and spices, and they had sea salts in bulk, too.

I got a little of each, just to try. Not sure what all the hoopla is about - I prefer Fleur de Sel to any of the salts I bought on Sunday.

Got Himalayan Pink, Grey Sea Salt, Hawaiian Black, Hawaiian Red, and Applewood Smoked (not shown, but tastes good!).

A few crystals of each go a LONG way!

Lee

Attachments

• Sea salts.JPG
    Sea salts.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 380

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i use seasalt as a finishing salt. takes a dab of that. i've many various kinds. & my blood pressure, that's usually 120/70-90. & i use iodized seasalt here & there.

buckytom

Grill Master
luvs, i'm sure you know thaty 120/70 is great, but 120/90 isn't too good. your diastolic is borderline dangerous if it stays that way for long periods. not like heart attack dangerous, but the overall chd risks over your lifetime.
make sure you keep an eye on it. if it goes to 95 or higher, you may need meds. k?

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
buckytom, i take various meds. k-dur, that kinda stuff. my sodium/magnesium, those get a boost, too & often via pill/beef-base boullion broth. my stomach ain't 2 tolerant. my cardio-doc was less than fretful when my ticker rate was @ 189 & defied my defrib.

Last edited:

PanchoHambre

I use sea salt and kosher salt alot because of the rough grain... but am in general a terrible under salter. People always douse my cooking in salt I almost never add salt of any kind to my food table side. One of the reasons I do not like so many packaged foods is they are way too salty for me.... prosciutto is the exception that I love.