Saw a different method for doing a whole pig

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Ok guys I watched the Emeril live show on FLN.com today which is repeat of a show originally show on FN. Now the method was really neat in that they had a stand that held the pig up and built a wood fire in front of it. They cooked the pig with the heat coming off of the open fire from a few feet away. Once it was done on the inside they turned it to do the back side (about 3 hours per side) then put some coals under the shoulder at the base of the the stand to get a crispy finish on it. The meat look moist and perfectly cooked but I've never seen the method before. I think I remember him saying it was a South American method of cooking pork but didn't catch the country where it was first seen. I did a Google search of it but couldn't find the video that was supposed to be available on FN now.

At any rate have any of you heard of this method?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
yes i have..lol

its big in germany

i have to find it but i have different pictures somewhere of a grill like this one

the other one that i cant find is basically the same as you described it joe

6798_img_1779_2.jpg

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That isn't what I saw Jeff. They simply built a wood fire on the ground with a metal stand about 2' to 3' from the fire. Now the pig is tied to the stand (looks kind of like one for tomato vines) with the head pointed down at the ground and the pig opened up with the interior cooking first followed by the back.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
the one you describe is basically the pictures i cant find right now..lol

am still looking for them..lol

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm thinking it is an Argentinian method, but really missed what he said as wife was talking to me at the time. I did hear Gaucho some where the sentence though.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
the one i am looking for is this design basically.

they took (what looked like tin)sheet metal, formed 2 or 3 walls, built a fire and hung the whole hog and kept feeding the fire until the hog was cooked.

my quest continues..lol

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That isn't what I saw Jeff. They simply built a wood fire on the ground with a metal stand about 2' to 3' from the fire. Now the pig is tied to the stand (looks kind of like one for tomato vines) with the head pointed down at the ground and the pig opened up with the interior cooking first followed by the back.

Was it a pole stuck in the ground at a 45 degree angle to the fire? I saw that once on a Bourdain episode.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Emeril said the video he played was on the Food Network but I sure couldn't find it or would of posted it. The stands looked like 1/4 rods welded like a box with the pig tied to the two horizontal rods and two vertical rod that went into the ground. After about 3 hours they picked up the whole thing and turned it around so the back got done. Then simply picked up some of the hot embers and placed it under the shoulders. The tip of the snout was about 4" above the ground all through this cooking process. The amazing part was when the sliced it up how perfect the meat looked as well as moistness of it. The people doing it lived in Louisiana but had learned the method visiting a farm in South America.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Was it a pole stuck in the ground at a 45 degree angle to the fire? I saw that once on a Bourdain episode.

It wasn't a pole but like a tac tac toe layout you would draw made out of what looked to be 1/4" rod. Now it was at an angle when they stuck the bottom into the ground but about 60 degrees though I guess that would depend on how hot the fire was. They set these frames up with the pigs from 2' to 3' away from the wood fire they built on the ground.

I guess though a pole would work if you could split the pig up the belly and spreed it out kind like it had been flattened.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
thats the one i am looking for joe..lol

they also cooked some chickens on those rods..darn it i need to find the pictures..lol

lilylove

We are going to a pig roast this weekend... I know it'll be a whole pig and that they have a brick BBQ... but not sure how it'll work.

I do know that I"M READY to eat it though.