Reverse Sear Strip Steak, Mushrooms and Spinach

High Cheese

Saucier
Reverse sear NY Strip steak, steak sauce, sauteed mushrooms, chopped spinach.

For the strip steak:

I used a 2" thick NY Strip, bring to room temp, then cook in a 215F oven for about 24 minutes until you reach an internal temp of 100F. Get a pan as hot as you can get, sprinkle the steak with salt, and sear 1 minute per side. I used about 2 tablespoons of canola oil in the pan. Season with fresh pepper, rest, and slice. Wait until the steak is completely cooked before you add the pepper so it doesn't burn.

I found that the reverse sear method pales the meat a bit. Even though the steak looks medium, it was actually cooked and had the texture of medium rare. I don't know what causes this, but it comes out lighter than the norm.

For the mushroom: Heat about 3 tablespoons of oil in a pan an add about 2-3 cups of sliced cremini mushroom. Add salt and pepper. Keep an eye on the oil in the pan, you want it a bit "wet" to get the proper color. The mushroom will soak up the oil so add if necessary. Toss in 2 sprigs of thyme and toss, deglaze with 1/4 cup white wine. Just before the mushrooms are done and the liquid has reduced, finish with the juice of 1/2 lemon. Just before you serve remove the thyme sprigs and discard.

For the sauce:

In a saucier, sautee 2 cups mire poix in olive oil until slightly brown. You can use the celery tops and even leave the skin on the carrot. Once slightly brown add 1/2 cup red wine, 2 bay leaves, 2 tablespoons peppercorns, 2-3 thyme sprigs, 12oz beef stock, 1 tablespoon of dijon mustard and 1 tablespoon of prepared demi glace. Bring to a boil, reduce to 1/2 - 3/4 cup (about 10 minutes) then strain. Return the sauce back to the pan and set aside until the rest of the dinner is done. When everything else is ready, reheat the sauce, bring to a boil. Melt 1/2 tablespoon at a time of cold butter. Two table spoons should be enough. Whisk and serve.

For the spinach:

Thaw 1 box of frozen chopped spinach and drain. Heat in a pan with sliced garlic, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and olive oil. Keep adding oilive oil to the pan to keep it from drying out. I used about 4-5 tablespoons.

StripSteak001.jpg

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
You know, I'm gonna have to try this reverse sear thing. Seems like a fool-poof way of cooking your favorite cuts of meat to perfection!

High Cheese

Saucier
Works best on thick cuts. Don't buy those regular 3/4" thick cuts, ask the butcher for 2" thick steaks. When done you can slice and serve like a roast....almost.

High Cheese

Saucier
FYI: The principle behind the reverse sear method is to allow connective tissue to slightly break down like BBQ, only we are using already somewhat tender cuts at specific temps. It's also simillar to sous-vide.

A couple tips for near perfect reverse sear are:

1) use thick cuts of meat at room temperature and remove most of the fat since it will not break down in the process.
2) it is imperative that the meat is removed from the oven at 100F...even 95F would be fine
3) while the meat is in the oven, flip it once 1/2 way through the process for more even heating (a rack may work best)
4) salt only until the meat is done
5) only use canola or equivilent high-temp oil for searing
6) when you sear, you want your pan or grill Supernova HOT! So no non-stick here. You need to get nice color (Maillard) in a very short amount of time or you WILL overcook the meat. One minute per side should do.

The next time I try it I'm going to sear in two pans . I found the first sear cools the pan a bit too much for the second side to get the same color. I may be able to take the meat out and let the pan come back up to temp but I'm afraid and bits in the pan will burn and change the flavor of the meat. ...we'll see.

You can re-season with salt and add pepper, then let rest for 5-7 minutes and slice.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Ya had me until you got to the spinach, LOL. Some nice asparagus would work too, or even some sauteed zucchini with garlic and onions. Yum!
That steak looks fantastic!