Redoing My kitchen, Need good websites

So this is the deal. Ive been living in my house for about 10 years. Replaced many things, and now its time for the kitchen. Im looking for a good website/ websites, that shows many different finished kitchens so I can get a good idea of which direction to go in. Im not talking about which appliance or even the set up ( since im not planning on changing the shape or size of the kitchen, somy set up options are limited). But, More like sites that show different cabinet, tile, backsplash combinations. Im not the type of person who could put it together in my mind. I need to see a pic of what I like, then basically take that pic, show the contractor , and say " this is what I want". Ive looked through google images, and sure, I got many pics there. But, iM looking for something more kitchen specific. Anyone have any sites in mind I can go check out ??

Larry

So this is the deal. Ive been living in my house for about 10 years. Replaced many things, and now its time for the kitchen. Im looking for a good website/ websites, that shows many different finished kitchens so I can get a good idea of which direction to go in. Im not talking about which appliance or even the set up ( since im not planning on changing the shape or size of the kitchen, somy set up options are limited). But, More like sites that show different cabinet, tile, backsplash combinations. Im not the type of person who could put it together in my mind. I need to see a pic of what I like, then basically take that pic, show the contractor , and say " this is what I want". Ive looked through google images, and sure, I got many pics there. But, iM looking for something more kitchen specific. Anyone have any sites in mind I can go check out ??

Larry

Try clicking around here:

http://www.hgtv.com/kitchens/index.html

I looked around at Home depot, & p/u some brochures - just to get some ideas. They will come to your home & help, according to the sales person. I hate my kitchen cabinets etc. There's so much out there, it's hard to decide -- reface, refinish etc., & what will go well with what.

There's so much out there, it's hard to decide -- reface, refinish etc., & what will go well with what.

Thats my problem. So much to choose from, makes me crazy. When i wasnt doing my kitchen, it seemed i saw everything I liked everywhere. Now that the moment actually is here, I just cant seem to find what I like. And for me to piece it together would be a nightmare. I just want to see a pic that has what I like, then go with it. I know a few basic things. And the kitchen will be completely gutted. New everything. The money is in the bank waiting to be spent. Now, I just have to decide what I like .

Its a pain in the butt..

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Stainless, New Age, Retro, Classic, Antique......what are you looking to do?

Not exactly sure what style yet. Im not really married to any one specific idea. What I do like are the following:

Cabinets: Wood with a dark stain, but still light enough so you can see the grain of the wood

Floor: Tile. I like the earthy light browns.

Backsplash: Tile to match or at least coordinate with the floor.

Appliances: Either the stainless steel or black have caught my eye. I have to go with electric, because no gas hookup, and i dont feel like getting a tank. The flat top stoves look easy to clean up, and im sure my wife would appreciate that. I like the ones with the 4 burners + a warming burner. Id like a double oven. ive seen those new ranges that have a large oven, than a smaller one that is good for baking cookies, lasagna, or more 'flat' things. Not sure if I want to go with the free standing stove/ oven combined unit, or a separate cook top and built in double oven. Microwave that does not sit on the counter.

My wife definitely wants a double sink.

My kitchen is kinda long and narrow, with a more open space at the end for the kitchen table. Definitely, not my ideal layout, but im not about to kick through the wall and open it up. That would add a few more zero's at the end of the final figure. Due to its layout, and island is out of the question. We also want an organized area, as e first enter the kitchen, to store our mail, news paper, keys, cell phones/ chargers, computer/ chargers, memos, phone....You know, all the crap that takes up your counter space.

Im more interested in function, than the look, yet I want it too look nice.

As much counter space as possible, with a place to openly display my cookbooks.

These are just a few ideas. again, the over all look ill know when I see it. We are not fancy people, dont have great expensive china to display. Im more of a functional cook, than a showy cook. I want it to look nice, new and organized. But if there comes a decision that i have to choose looks vs function, the function choice will win..

Larry

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Larry, I have a black stove. Unless you like cleaning your heart out really often, I suggest stainless.

Larry, I have a black stove. Unless you like cleaning your heart out really often, I suggest stainless.

I kinda figured that. But my wife seems to be complaining about the stainless too, with the fingerprints ( our fridge is stainless and all i hear all day is " bla bla bla, when we redo the kitchen, bla bla bla stainless....." But I kinda figured black would be worse

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I clean the stovetop with detergent, then barkeeper's friend to get stubborn stuff then wipe with water to get it as clean as possible, finally to get the last oil streaks (Soap is an oil too), I use rubbing alcohol.

GotGarlic

When we were getting ready to redo our kitchen (3 years ago) and the main bathroom (last year), I went to Lowe's and bought some magazines and design books specific to kitchens and bathrooms. They're full of layout ideas, as well as information about the pros and cons of various finishes.

We ended up with pecan cabinets with a light oak finish - they're absolutely gorgeous. We also have black, gray and gold granite counters with streaks of actual garnet (from Brazil), beige porcelain floor tile and black appliances. I don't mind cleaning the appliances; for me, the stainless look seemed out of place with the warm colors of the rest of the kitchen.

FooD

I'll be following this thread closely. I'm thinking about redoing our kitchen as well. It basically needs everything done.....cabinets, counter-tops, and 2 new appliances (rangetop & double wall oven).
I'm seriously considering polished concrete counter-tops though. This I think I can handle the job myself.

Guts

This is what I do for a living, First what is the budget? Then same size kitchen ( moving any walls or expanding)? new design? Any pictures of your existing kitchen?
Kim

I wouldnt say we have an unlimited budget, but Im sure we'll be in the 6 figure range when all said and done. Size, shape and design will , for the most part , stay the same. Not planning on moving walls, or expanding in anyway. Do to our long , narrow kitchen ( galley- like), the only way to significantly change the layout would be to kick out a wall and square it off somehow ( sorry for the run- sentence, and over abundance of commas) and we dont want this to turn into a major construction project. More to update what we have. But, we want to completely gut the kitchen, all the way down to the floorboards and wall beams. %100 new plumbing, electrical, sheet rock .... Im including a few pics that ive seen online that caught my eye. Not exactly what I want, but something im interested in. Definitely inspirational photos for me. Dont have any pics of my old kitchen yet. But before I start the project, Ill include the play- by -play with photos, so ( if anyone is interested), they can track the progress.

In these pics, im trying to decide whether I like the wood floor or not. What ever floor we choose, will extend into the hallway leading to the front door, so i have to consider this when deciding wood vs tile.

The second pic, I like best overall, but seems a little too orange for me. Id have to go a little more brown on that.

Also, Im trying to decide whether I prefer the lighter or darker counters in contrast with the wood.

most importantly, What ever I choose, has to pass my wifes approval :lol: so im basically thinking out loud here, then i have to bring it to the boss for final approval.

larry

Attachments

• PIC22-2.jpg
    PIC22-2.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 135
  • DP_Helen-Richardson-traditional-kitchen-island_s4x3_lg.jpg
    DP_Helen-Richardson-traditional-kitchen-island_s4x3_lg.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 133
  • DP_Helen-Richardson-Traditional-Kitchen-Countertops_s4x3_lg.jpg
    DP_Helen-Richardson-Traditional-Kitchen-Countertops_s4x3_lg.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 140

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Beware, Larry, that all those beautiful moldings on the cabinets look lovely, but they are all grease and dust traps. In my Mexican kitchen, I have no cupboard doors at all, of course, but I wouldn't recommend that for everyone. I remember scrubbing those cabinets with moldings when I lived in my last house in the US,a nd I would opt for nice flat cabinet fronts if I were doing it again.

Guts

Larry how funny the first picture was a kitchen I did around 2004. the lady in the picture is Margaret Dean I worked with her for almost eight years. Wood floors are nice, warm / Tile is easy to clean but cold, some of the new floors laminate type are also good(Pergo). Lots of things to think about, kids? dog?and so on. Color is all up to what you and your wife like. I'm a big fan of painted with Glaze - distressed look.. when it gets a nick or is damaged, the touch up is very easy to fix. A lot of manufactures will make a sample door 12"X12" for your approval before running it thru the product line, custom colors both stain and paint.

PS; where are you in the US

Im in new york. Part of the reason for waiting so long to do the kitchen, was to let the kids grow up and the dog crap out. Gives us a little more freedom to do what we want, and not to be married to " defensive decorating".

Guts

Ok I think I would start with your appliances.
Then you can figure how to fit then in your new kitchen.
Subzero refrigerator / wolf cook top / wolf oven-or two of them stacked / micro wave / steam oven? warming drawer? Mile build in coffee maker? and I would use a Mile dish washer!
Have you considered talking to a designer?

Yes, we're actually meeting with a designer in a few weeks, which why Im trying to do a little research now, so we will at least have a direction to go in. We've been anticipating doing our kitchen for years, seriously considering it since early this year and now, reality is just about to set in.

Guts

Larry now is a good time to do a remodel. People are willing to lower there prices to get work. One think about Wolf and Subzero they keep there prices up and will not deal with any one. Lets say they find a dealer selling there product below manufactures suggested price there will lose there dealership.

One other thing I have made a "U" shape out of a galley kitchen before.

If I can help let me know.
Kim

Guts

One more thing take a look at remote blower fans where the fan and motor are set outside. Quite and powerful..

Any pros/ cons on the following ??

Gas is not an option, so my choices are Standard Electric vs. Induction

Free standing oven/ stove unit vs. separate cooke top/ wall mounted oven

2 smaller double ovens vs 1 big oven ( were vegetarians, so we are not planning on cooking a huge turkey anytime soon)

Ive seen some electric/ induction combo units

also saw electric units with "rapid cook area , increased amt of watts for quicker boiling)

and other units that " bridge" two cooking areas together , for the use of a griddle-type pan.

Guts

Larry
If you have room the oven/s and use a cook top, reason? why stand in front of a hot oven while using the cook top. Electric ovens are the way to go IMO

Gaggenau makes very good induction cook tops. watch the specs. they need certain needs though. One thing with induction, you have to watch what kind of pans that you use... There are some good electric cook tops too. Which ones are you looking at?

http://www.gaggenau.com/US_en/products/cooktops-overview.do

Not sure which ones yet. Keeping all my options open. Today I just kinda browsed through an appliance store just to see whats out there ( since ive never shopped specifically for this stuff before). What u say makes sense about separate cooktop and oven. Never really thought about standing in front of a hot oven ( since I dont have that now). Although my parents do, and its always like trying to choreograph a dance when everyone is trying to get to the microwave, oven and stove at once, and they are all located in the same area.

Although the induction sounds tempting, im not sure i want to limit my pots and pans to something that works with induction. I think i want a little more freedom than that.