Red Velvet Chocolate Chip cookies

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
There are several similar recipes online for these. According to Dad, they are delicious!

For Valentine's Day!

Lee

Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies

★★★★★5 from 13 reviews

• Prep Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
  • Cook Time: 12 minutes
  • Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
  • Yield: 18 cookies

These are soft-baked red velvet chocolate chip cookie recipe made from scratch.

Ingredients

• 1 and 1/2 cups + 1 Tablespoon (200g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
  • 1/4 cup (21g) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 3/4 cup (150g) packed light or dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature*
  • 1 Tablespoon milk (or buttermilk) - I omitted
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon gel red food coloring (or alternative)* (I used a full bottle, scant T, of regular food coloring)
  • 1 cup (180g) semi-sweet chocolate chips (plus a few extra for after baking) – I used white chips

Instructions

Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.

Using a handheld or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl as needed. Beat in the brown sugar and granulated sugar until combined and creamy, about 1 minute. Beat in the egg, milk, and vanilla extract, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Once mixed, add the food coloring and beat until combined. Turn the mixer off and pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Turn the mixer on low and slowly beat until a very soft dough is formed. Beat in more food coloring if you’d like the dough to be brighter red. On low speed, beat in the chocolate chips. The dough will be sticky.

Cover and chill the dough in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours (and up to 3 days). If chilling for longer than a few hours, allow dough to sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before rolling and baking because the dough will be quite hard.

Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.

Scoop 1.5 Tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball, as pictured above. Place 9 balls onto each baking sheet. Bake each batch for 13 minutes. The cookies may have only spread slightly, that’s ok. Simply press down on the warm cookies to slightly flatten, which helps form crinkles. If desired for looks, stick a few chocolate chips into the tops of the warm cookies.

Cool cookies on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Notes

1. Make Ahead & Freezing Instructions: Cookies stay fresh covered at room temperature for up to 1 week. You can make the cookie dough and chill it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. (See step 3.) Baked cookies freeze well for up to 3 months. Unbaked cookie dough balls freeze well for up to 3 months. Bake frozen cookie dough balls for an extra minute, no need to thaw. Click here for my tips and tricks on freezing cookie dough.
  2. Egg: Room temperature egg is preferred. To bring egg to room temperature quickly, simply place in a cup of warm water for 5 minutes. I usually set out my egg when I set out my butter to soften about 1 hour before beginning.
  3. Red Coloring: I’ve successfully made these cookies using beet powder instead of red food coloring – this is a wonderful natural alternative to food coloring. Use 2 teaspoons for a slight red color to your cookies. You can also use liquid food coloring, but you need quite a bit more of it. Use closer to 1 Tablespoon. I use and recommend gel food coloring.
  4. Be sure to check out my top 5 cookie baking tips AND these are my 10 must-have cookie baking tools.
Red Velvet cookies.JPG