Recipe for canned salmon??

pappy19

I recently got a bunch of canned Alaska salmon and would like to make some decent salmon patties or whatever. Any suggestions out there? Thanks!!

Pap

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Pappy!

I like this one:

1 (14.75 ounce) can salmon, undrained and flaked

1 slice of bread, shredded
3 Tbsp chopped green onion, including the green parts
1 medium garlic clove, minced
1 Tbsp fresh chopped dill weed, or 1 teaspoon dried
3 Tbsp minced green bell pepper
1 Tbsp flour
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
ground black pepper (to taste)
3 Tbsp vegetable oil

--

1 In a large bowl, gently mix together the salmon, bread, green onion, garlic, dill, bell pepper, flour, egg, paprika, salt and pepper. Form into 8 patties; each about 1/2 inch thick.

2 Heat oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Cook the patties until nicely browned on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side.

Serves 4.

Also, like to just follow a very basic one of adding an egg to the drained salmon, then perhaps some crushed Ritz crackers, some chopped onion and dill.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
salmon patties are a staple around here [g]

my recipe is a bit plainer - seasonings wise -

can of salmon, drained, any bit bone chunks picked out

salt, fresh ground pepper
finely diced scallions or shallots; yellow onion in a pinch
medium fine dice green/yellow/red peppers - or chopped roasted red pepper from a jar [gasp]
I use two beaten eggs - that makes the mix a bit wetter but sticks together better
add bread crumb - not bread crumb dust (I use Panko style) to adjust consistency.
the trick I've found is not to over add the bread crumbs - add some, give it 10-15 minutes to 'set up' and recheck.
make patties, refrigerate at least an hour

saute in a hot non-stick pan with a touch of oil & pat of butter for browning.

sometimes when I've got the deep fryer fired up for butterflied shrimp I'll leave the mix a bit wetter, do salmon balls and deep fry.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>I like that idea!

be forewarned,,,, last time, with 3 (adult) kids in attendance, I did the salmon balls - one can made about 18 (my count, 'going in') and by the time the beer batter butterflied shrimp were done, 4 salmon balls made it to the table . . .

grits & salmon patties - about the only time I approach ketchup. big salad, eat until well stuffed. . . .

Last edited:

loboloco

pappy, I only eat salmon steaks. If I find a can in the house I open it up and stick it outside the door. The neighborhood cat seems to like it.

pappy19

I love fresh salmon(especially Copper River) and fresh steelhead(from the Salmon River here in Idaho) but when I get a hankerin' for some salmon, and don't have any fresh, a can of "pink" from Alaska is sometimes, the best I can come up with.

Pap

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Pap, have you ever tried it right out of the can and used it the same way you would tuna for tuna salad sandwiches?

It's very rich and makes a lovely filling for sandwiches with just a little mayo, onion and dill weed on toasted bread.

pappy19

Yes, I have. I have also had it on soda crackers, a dab of Tobasco with a cold beer and that's pretty good too.