Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
A couple of our old Foodie Friends ...
VeraBlue & Hubby 6-2023.jpg

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
There's a pizza place right next to the Toledo Mud Hens stadium that makes a fabulous Detroit style pizza
Pizza Papalis ☺️
... went to High School in Detroit...
Never knew there was a "Detroit" style pizza ....
"Ignorance is Bliss", lol !

SilverSage

Resident Crone
... went to High School in Detroit...
Never knew there was a "Detroit" style pizza ....
"Ignorance is Bliss", lol !
Detroit pizza started at Buddy's Rendevous in the 1940s. In short order, the Cloverleaf, Shield's, and Louie's all opend with a similar style. For 40 years, you had to go to one of those 4 east side locations to get it. In the 1980s Shield's and Buddy's both started opening other locations. We used to get it all the time. It was considered the best pizza. It's made from a foccacia style bread, then the toppings, then covered in Wisconsin brick cheese edge-to-edge. The tomato sauce goes on top in 2 or 3 stripes.

Now it's all over the country.

When I was back home for my aunts funeral, we all broke for lunch to Buddy's. That night back at someone's house, they ordered Buddy's. The next day at my cousin's, you guessed it......Buddy's.

I don't want another for a very long time.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Detroit pizza started at Buddy's Rendevous in the 1940s. In short order, the Cloverleaf, Shield's, and Louie's all opend with a similar style. For 40 years, you had to go to one of those 4 east side locations to get it. In the 1980s Shield's and Buddy's both started opening other locations. We used to get it all the time. It was considered the best pizza. It's made from a foccacia style bread, then the toppings, then covered in Wisconsin brick cheese edge-to-edge. The tomato sauce goes on top in 2 or 3 stripes.

Now it's all over the country.

When I was back home for my aunts funeral, we all broke for lunch to Buddy's. That night back at someone's house, they ordered Buddy's. The next day at my cousin's, you guessed it......Buddy's.

I don't want another for a very long time.

Did you take any pictures of it, Kathy?

Lee