Quick and Easy Pork Cutlets - needs something?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Geez, what a great discovery for me!

I needed a quick and easy protein to whip up after work tonight, to go with some leftover vegs. I had in the fridge.

I bought a whole pork loin at a great sale price today. Sliced off three pieces and froze the rest.

Pounded them a little, then followed the recipe below. It's all stuff that everyone has, and I love the fact that it's all fried in 1 T of olive oil. Took about 10 minutes, total - cooking time for the cutlets was maybe 3 minutes.

I only ate two cutlets, since it's filling and I had a lot of vegs on the plate.

I loved the flavor of the pork, but I think it could have used a light sauce (I did not use lime).

What kind of sauce would you use?

This is a great basic recipe and I will use it often!

Lee

Pork Cutlets (Food Network)

Recipe Adapted from "Going Solo in the Kitchen" by Jane Doerfer
Prep Time:20 minInactive Prep Time:-- Cook Time:15 minLevel:EasyServes:1 serving
Ingredients

• 1 egg white plus 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1 (4-ounce) boneless pork cutlet, pounded thin
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 lime
Directions

In a mixing bowl, beat the egg white and water until it starts to foam. Stir in a teaspoon of dry mustard. Season cutlet with salt and pepper. Dip the cutlet in flour, then the egg mixture, coating thoroughly, and then in the breadcrumbs. Be sure that both sides are covered well. Set aside, or refrigerate, covered by a piece of waxed paper or plastic wrap.

Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan until hot. Add the cutlet, lower the heat slightly, and cook for about 2 minutes. Turn with a spatula, and brown the other side. Continue cooking, turning once again if necessary, until the pork is cooked through, about 5 minutes in total. When done, the flesh will be white. Drain on a paper bag. Serve with a squeeze of lime.

Serve with potato and leeks

Attachments

• Pork cutlets.JPG
    Pork cutlets.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 173

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That looks and sounds wonderful Lee! I think a mushroom sauce made with chicken broth seasoned with some salt, pepper and thyme and then thicken with a little cornstarch would be wonderful.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the best mushroom sauce/gravy I've made - used dried morels/other dried shrooms - brought to a simmer in water, turn off, let steep, toss the ex-dried mushrooms, use the liquor vs stock/water/etc, roux, thinned with shroom liquor, use fresh mushrooms for chunks&bits.

Leni

I've made this several times and it is delicious! This is from melindalee.com.

PORK CUTLETS MILANESE

Bruce Aidells tells this story about this dish: I first saw Milanese-style pork cutlets in a country restaurant outside of Milan. The name and location of that restaurant is long gone. But I will never forget those chops. I whiffed the aromatic cutlets (and the olive oil in which they were fried) before I even saw them. What the waiter placed before me was a crispy, golden rib pork chop with the bone attached, the meat pounded so thin and large that it hung over the edge of the plate. But it was nearly hidden under an enormous mound of wild arugula, fennel, and shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano. I was in heaven and returned to the restaurant again the next night to indulge in those cutlets one more time before leaving Milan. While you can make these cutlets with bone-in rib chops, they are trickier to pound out with the bone still attached, so in this recipe I use boneless meat. If you want something a little more authentic, buy 8- to 10-ounce rib pork chops, cut 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches thick with the chine bone removed, and (carefully working around the rib bone), pound them out so that they are as big as a plate. You’ll be rewarded with a dish that will be as memorable as the one I had in Milan.

SERVES 4
4 boneless pork loin chops, (each 5 to 6 ounces) – pounded 1/8 inch thick
kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup, all-purpose flour
2 large eggs – beaten
2 cups, bread crumbs made from day-old bread or panko crumbs
1/2 cup, freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon, finely chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 cup (or more), extra-virgin olive oil (see Cook’s Note, below)
lemon wedges – for serving

To prepare the pork cutlets: Season both sides of the meat generously with salt and pepper. Line up 3 shallow wide bowls on the countertop. Put the flour in the first bowl, the beaten eggs in the second, and stir together the bread crumbs, Parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and the rosemary in the third. Have ready a wire rack set over a baking sheet.
Dip each cutlet first in the flour, shaking off any excess, then into the eggs, and finally into the crumb mixture, patting both sides to make sure the cutlets are well coated. Set the coated cutlets on the rack over the baking sheet. When all the cutlets are breaded, refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 6 hours.
To cook the cutlets: Add enough olive oil to a large skillet to cover the bottom of the skillet by 1/4 inch. Heat the pan over medium-high heat until the oil starts to shimmer or until a few bread crumbs dropped into the oil bubble around the edges. Add 1 pork cutlet (or two if they fit without crowding the pan) and cook until golden brown – about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining cutlets. If you’re cooking one chop at a time, you may want to keep the cutlets warm in a 200- degree oven until all are done. Serve with lemon wedges.

Last edited by a moderator:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
I would make a grainy mustard sauce- I usually deglaze the pan w/ wine/other alcohol, or a stock. then reduce while whisking, & use the mustard as an emulsifying agent.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dill, dried mushrooms, lemon, grainy mustard .... you guys have hit all of my favorites!

Want to try them all!

Thank you!

Lee

High Cheese

Saucier
That looks and sounds wonderful Lee! I think a mushroom sauce made with chicken broth seasoned with some salt, pepper and thyme and then thicken with a little cornstarch would be wonderful.

I did exactly the same thing the other day for some leftover chicken cutlets. Lol

Hey Lee, heres my recipe for pork or chicken cutlets, I found the breading sticks better without flour.

I just use 2 eggs with salt and pepper, then 4C seasoned bread crumbs and add a little salt and pepper. Thats it.

Leftovers make great sandwiches.

High Cheese

Saucier
Also, that pork cutlet with lime is very Puerto Rican or Cuban. Maybe match it with some sides like rice and beans, fried plantains, etc.

Leni

Can one of you moderators clean my post up. I didn't intend for the whole thing to come over.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I did exactly the same thing the other day for some leftover chicken cutlets. Lol

Hey Lee, heres my recipe for pork or chicken cutlets, I found the breading sticks better without flour.

I just use 2 eggs with salt and pepper, then 4C seasoned bread crumbs and add a little salt and pepper. Thats it.

Leftovers make great sandwiches.

Well, damn, HC! Yours is even simpler!

Thanks!

Lee

Leni

Yes. Thank you. You should try this recipe. I just bought some more pork chops to make it in the next day or two.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Hmmm...and I was wondering what to have for dinner tonight. I guess it's breaded pork chops with rice & green beans. Need to use up the beans in the fridge. THANKS!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes. Thank you. You should try this recipe. I just bought some more pork chops to make it in the next day or two.

I WILL! One of the lovely things about the recipe is that I always have all of those ingredients! :blob_blue:

Lee

High Cheese

Saucier
Well, damn, HC! Yours is even simpler!

Thanks!

Lee

I make a kick azz chicken parm that way.

Basically breaded chicken cutlets I fry in olive oil, then place on a rack. I make a real simple marinara. Just onlion, garlic, red pepper flakes, a little white wine, basil and canned tomatoes. Let that simmer while I cook the chicken.

Top the cutlets with a little marinara, then slices of fresh mozzarella, put on a rack in the oven just to heat through and melt the cheese a little. Top with fresh parmesan. I usually make some pasta for the remainder of the sauce.

But for lunch one day, I put one of those chicken parm cutlets on a nice kaiser roll.... DAM! that was good!!!!!

The 4C really has a flavor punch.