Questions About: Freezing Butternut Squash

Domestic Goddess

For those who freeze butternut squash...

How does everyone freeze their squash?

If you blanch it first, in water ontop the stove, how much squash (ounces or pounds) do you add to your saucepan, and how much water (ounces) do you add? Do you cover the pot before you blanch the squash, or cook/blanch the squash with out covering the pot? And how long (minutes) does it take to blanch the squash? Also, do you then cool the squash while it's still cubed, or possibly add it to a bowl of ice water for a few minutes, then blot the cubed squash with paper toweling, then flash freeze it in the freezer before adding it to freezer bags, or do you mash it immediately after it's been blanched, and freeze it in Ziploc freezer bags or use other containers to freeze it?

For those who blanch their squash in the microwave, what is the wattage of your microwave when doing this process, how much squash (ounces or pounds) do you cook/blanch in the microwave, how much water do you add, and how many minutes does it take to cook it?

For those who prefer to cook/roast there's in the oven, at what temp do you cook it, and for how long?

Do you freeze your squash in Ziploc freezer bags, or in Tupperware-like freezer containers? If using the Ziploc freezer bags, how much squash do you add to those bags?

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I don't tend to blanch squash before freezing.

I freeze mine in freezer bags and fill them to where they close nicely and fit into the freezer sensibly.

I roast my squash in the oven after a brush with oil at about 200C or the temp that my roast is cooking at.

High Cheese

Saucier
I never freeze it but if I did I would just do it raw.

Roasted butternut is great. Just be aware they shrink a little and cook pretty fast.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
And yet another country heard from ..... I steam it, and mash it with butter, salt and pepper, then freeze it.

Lee