3/4 c Cooked rice
1/2 c Onion, chopped
Sausage casing
1/4 c Green onion, chopped
1 t Parsley flakes
1 t Celery flakes
3/4 t Salt

Diections:

Place water, boneless pork, and pork liver in a 2-quart saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a medium heat setting and simmer until pork is tender. Remove pork and liver from stock. Grind pork and liver (use food processor, if desired). Add onion, green onion, and other seasonings to stock. Cook until onions are tender. Add ground meat to vegetable-stock mixture. Cook until most of the water has evaporated. Stir in cooked rice. Adjust seasonings, if desired. Stuff rice-meat mixture into sausage casings.
Prick casings 3-4 times each to prevent bursting during cooking. Cook boudin in simmering water for 12 minutes. Remove from water and serve.

Note: No two Cajuns cook exactly alike, and it's probable you will other recipes for bouding using different ingredients, this is just one!

Boudin to me is kind of like a Cajun rice dressing stuffed into a sausage. It's ummmm good!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Sounds great! Looks like I'm going to have to buy a sausage stuffer now! :thumb:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Sounds great! Looks like I'm going to have to buy a sausage stuffer now! :thumb:

I have an old Kitchen Aid stand mixer with the meat grinder and sausage stuffer attachment. I generally do 4 - 5 lbs of pork butt and 1-2 lbs of pork liver in mine at a time when I make it. The KA attachments handle it with no problems.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here is the meat grinder attachment
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-FGA-Grinder-Attachment-Mixers/dp/B00004SGFH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1243381122&sr=8-1[/ame]

Here is the sausage stuffer than plugs into the meat grinder.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-SSA-Sausage-Stuffer-Attachment/dp/B00004SGFQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1243381418&sr=1-7[/ame]

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The one I have I doubt but all their attachments fit on 90% of their stand mixers. All the new ones use the exact same as mine has and I've had it about 30 years now.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I have an old Kitchen Aid stand mixer with the meat grinder and sausage stuffer attachment. I generally do 4 - 5 lbs of pork butt and 1-2 lbs of pork liver in mine at a time when I make it. The KA attachments handle it with no problems.

So, Joe....tell me...how on earth do you keep the meat from spattering all over the place when you use it? I have the same one that I used 1 time and it spit blood everywhere! I only use my Food Processor for grinding meat now but I was just wondering if maybe I didn't know all I needed to know about the attachment.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
So, Joe....tell me...how on earth do you keep the meat from spattering all over the place when you use it? I have the same one that I used 1 time and it spit blood everywhere! I only use my Food Processor for grinding meat now but I was just wondering if maybe I didn't know all I needed to know about the attachment.

freeze the meat a bit

joec

Gold Site Supporter

I have never had a problem with it and use it for all my ground meats as I don't buy them pre ground. I simply cut them into about 1" cubes, set the speed to 4 and feed them through the attachement with a large bowl under it.

It is pretty well spelled out how in the manual that came with the grinder attachment. Cooked meats are even easier it which would be the case with boudin.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I have never had a problem with it and use it for all my ground meats as I don't buy them pre ground. I simply cut them into about 1" cubes, set the speed to 4 and feed them through the attachement with a large bowl under it.

It is pretty well spelled out how in the manual that came with the grinder attachment. Cooked meats are even easier it which would be the case with boudin.

That seems to me that I did it that way and after a couple of rounds I realized it was like it was sprinkling blood everywhere. Now, I didn't freeze it at all mind you, but I don't know if that would help.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That seems to me that I did it that way and after a couple of rounds I realized it was like it was sprinkling blood everywhere. Now, I didn't freeze it at all mind you, but I don't know if that would help.

I forgot to mention that Mama I don't freeze it but do chill it a bit before the grinder. I generally cut the meat in to 1" cubes or there abouts then put it back in the freezer but remove it before it gets frozen but is very cold in my case about 10 minutes or so is sufficent or about 30 minutes in the fridge itself. I always start with the largest grind first then if wanted go to the smaller grind and run the ground through it again. If that still isn't fine enough I run it through the small grinder a second time.

Now I do use a large stainless bowl under it but I've never had a problem with blood everywhere. Now boudin can be a bit messy as it is pretty well falling apart but the time you run it though the grinder and can really be sloppy once the rice is added to the ground meat as well as more green onions for the sausage stuffer attachment that fits on the front of the meat grinder. The sausage stuff replaces the grinder blades buy the way so it is no longer a grinder but a sausage stuffer.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I was so pissed after I realized it was spraying blood everywhere I don't know if I want to chance using it again. Maybe I could grind it in the FP and then use the stuffer on the KA?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Grind meat in a Food Processor not that would probably turn it to mush. I suggest you simply chill the meat before grinding it. Good boudin will have a bit of the texture of some meat in it otherwise it is rice, scallions and goo.