Please add your thoughts

Lefty

Yank
I have heard that you should celebrate life. I have also heard that food should be a celebration of life. I understood that we are so busy in life that we should take the time that we use to celebrate life, which makes perfect understanding to the logic behind my post. Jeff Smith (Frugal Gourmet) was a great cook and as a philosopher I agree with some of his profound thoughts. He stated that food should be a celebration of life. I agree with this thought. Since we only have so much time on the planet and we are so busy with everyday tasks that we need time to enjoy life and what better way to do it but with food. This concept made me a better cook, and made my life a better experience. Thoughts???

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
To me food means many things. A celebration of hunger and life. A way to make people happy. To share an expeience. A reason be be together. And yes, a celebration. A gift of love or friendship. But when youre broke and starving its just a way to survive.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
I guess that is why when we have gatherings with friends and/or family, it is always around food. Every good time I have had with people have always had cookouts.

lilylove

I use food to make people happy... I cook because I love them and food is always the center of our celebrations (even if it's just a quick dinner for friends) I show love by cooking for the people that I care about.

I think in my own way I am celebrating love and happiness.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
just one thing... exactly what does jeff (whom ever jeff is) likes little boys, have anything to do with food?

Deelady

to me cooking for others is a way of nurturing them when they need a pick me up and a way to bring smiles in times of celebration! It is one of my few tools I have to bring a sense of comfort to people.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Food nourishes the spirit as well as the body and soul.
Ever notice how excited we get when we know we're going to sit down to a good meal, and how satisfied we are after?
Eating/Food is a celebration in so many ways, whether it's a comforting pbj, or the best steak dinner money can buy.
Sharing it with others makes it even more special.
Good thread Lefty! ;)

Last edited:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
why do i cook? hmmmmmm

i mostly cook for me...sounds bad but hear me out..lol

couple of examples:

when i cook a meal for somebody & i know it is their favorite or they really enjoy eating it, the look on their faces is more satisfying than any dollar amount. it warms my heart

when i cook something for somebody & they dont care for the ingredients i am cooking with, after they eat it and realize what they have missing all this time.. again it warms my heart.

mostly, when there is absolute silence at my table besides the occassional slurp, pass the ...... please... i just sit back and smile.. it brings peace to me at least for the duration of the meal.

when i cook, i want everybodies soul to feel as happy has their bellies are.

oh and if you leave my table hungry and with a empty soul...sit back down because we are not done yet

Tickle Me Elmo

In my life, the kitchen was always the "heart' of the home. I've always wished that kitchen tables could talk. Can you imagine what we would learn?:huh::huh:

At any rate, we view food/cooking as an interaction of and love of our family/friends.

There's nothing more satisfying in our house as the time spent chopping/slicing/preparing a meal with those we love. It could be something as simple as sloppy Joes to Beef Wellington, and anything in between.

Food is love, no matter what form.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Cooking is about creating. Bringing ideas, techniques, and a hodge podge of ingredients together in a harmonious whole. It’s like poetry in motion. Creating a harmonious something from unrelated nothings is truly a remarkable experience. Then to share this creation with others is truly a blessing. Food is necessary to live, but to pour one’s heart into it and create something that you can share which also sustains life and lifts the spirit is truly amazing.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Cooking is about creating. Bringing ideas, techniques, and a hodge podge of ingredients together in a harmonious whole. It’s like poetry in motion. Creating a harmonious something from unrelated nothings is truly a remarkable experience. Then to share this creation with others is truly a blessing. Food is necessary to live, but to pour one’s heart into it and create something that you can share which also sustains life and lifts the spirit is truly amazing.

i'd give you Karma for that but i seem to be all out..lol

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I love to cook the things that people would not take the time to cook for themselves. My DW would never take the time to bake bread from scratch, but she will never deny how much more she enjoys homemade vs store bought. We are going to a Baptism and party on Sunday for my nephew's newborn son, and I have a couple of desserts planned that I know my family have not seen on the table in more than 30 years (I've been going thru Mom's old Slovenian cookbook). The food will bring back fond memories of those who made them when we were kids, and its important that we remember them and give them their just due.

Selfishly, I will admit that cooking and baking bring me joy, especially when I'm doing it for the pleasure or comfort of others.

suziquzie

I have trouble with this one.
I cook to show love, caring, etc.....
Nobody I am cooking for gets that.

Then I go to the relatives houses, "i'm not spending that much time on food"
"what a pain in the butt"

to me says, with the way I think of food....

"I really don't give enough of a crap about you to make anything"

lesley

To me food is about sharing, be it whoever...I've always enjoyed sharing, there's no greater enjoyment than to have a group of friends or family or whoever round a table sharing food & stories.....it's a bit like when I play the piano, someone will always pick up the guitar or bongo's & join in...especially if they've had one too many sherbets! lol

chowhound

The bongos? :shock: I don't believe I've ever hears a piano arrangement accompanied with bongos...
:yum: :wink:

I'm selfish. I cook for me and only me. I wouldn't say I am celebrating anything by eating, just enjoying myself, cuz I likes to eats :wink:
I guess you could say I'm pleasuring myself.... :shock:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I love to bake for many reasons: the challenge, for relaxation, for creativity sake and to make others happy.

As for sharing a meal or breaking bread with others, it is always a pleasure to cook for those who appreciate your efforts and one creates great memories with those who are at the table. A good meal can facilitate good discussion.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
why do i cook? hmmmmmm

i mostly cook for me...sounds bad but hear me out..lol

couple of examples:

when i cook a meal for somebody & i know it is their favorite or they really enjoy eating it, the look on their faces is more satisfying than any dollar amount. it warms my heart

when i cook something for somebody & they dont care for the ingredients i am cooking with, after they eat it and realize what they have missing all this time.. again it warms my heart.

mostly, when there is absolute silence at my table besides the occassional slurp, pass the ...... please... i just sit back and smile.. it brings peace to me at least for the duration of the meal.

when i cook, i want everybodies soul to feel as happy has their bellies are.

oh and if you leave my table hungry and with a empty soul...sit back down because we are not done yet

Well they do say that there is no such thing as true altruism! :biggrin:

pugger

When I cook for others, and they like it, I feel complete. Does that make any sense to anyone besides me? I can't really articulate thoughts on the matter - it is just a satisfied, complete, contented feeling that is sufficient to crowd out any worry or stress for a time. :neutral:

lesley

The bongos? :shock: I don't believe I've ever hears a piano arrangement accompanied with bongos...
:yum: :wink:

I'm selfish. I cook for me and only me. I wouldn't say I am celebrating anything by eating, just enjoying myself, cuz I likes to eats :wink:
I guess you could say I'm pleasuring myself.... :shock:

didn't you know Wilson plays the bongo's:yum::yum::yum::yum::yum::brows:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Its too bad that had to be brought up in this thread. It has nothing to do with the original post or question.

Agreed. I didn't even know about it and Googled. I liked the Frugal Gourmet, and have one of his books. I just learned on Google he died in 2004 at the age of 65.

PanchoHambre

Being from an Italian American family food was always at the center of celebration. Holiday food and every day food was pepared with love. The simple lunches made by my great aunt who watched me as a kid were amazingly imbued with love... as is the food my mother makes for her family.

I enjoy cooking for friends I also enjoy sharing what friends have made.

I also enjoy cooking for myself. It is an immediate creative act. Not having a kitchen for the last month or so I really miss this.

Food makes a great centerpiece for socialization

Good food is something that people can enjoy together and share. It is a way for people of diverse backgrounds to bond to share something of who they are and where they come from with others. I have lived in a variety of places and always in a very multi ethnic environment. Food was always one of the first ways people bond

Food is also a way in which we can enjoy the bounty of the earth. The satisfaction of a freshly picked fruit or vegetable or eating meat on a farm where it was raised is amazing.