Planning and prepping for 30+ in this heat!!

Deelady

We are having a cookout tomorrow of which we will be having at least 30 people. I have been prepping all day as well as some last night and I am only about half done....haven't even starting cleaning yet let alone baths for the girls. Maybe planning this in a heat wave such as this wasn't the smartest idea we have ever had!!:bonk::pat: and to top it off poor hubby is pllanning on starting at the grill at least an hr before guests come....at least they aren't due to come till early evening!

My menu is: (I was aiming at as many make ahead items as possible so I can actually enjoy myself this time!)

Apps:
Lumpia eggrolls
Zucchinni cigars
Homemade Salsa/chips
Spinach dip/crackers/veggies-bell peppers,carrots,cellery,sugar snap peas
Bacon ranch pull bread

Main:
Lemon Honey mustard thighs
Spicy Sweet BBQ Rub thighs
Mojo drums
Pinoy pork ribs
Beef kefeta kebabs

Sides:
Pinto Beans
Mama's broccoli pasta salad
Paula Deen's potato casserole
Bakery rolls

Deserts:
lime bars
vanilla pound cake
pecan chocolate chip cookies

Sme friends will also be bringing a few sides and drinks.....hopefully we will have enough! Heres to praying we don't melt away before the party starts!:weber:

Deelady

Thanks Mama but I feel quite the opposite...I keep second guessing the variety of food...if I have enough sides....do I have too much?...Do I have too little?? LOL But right now I have no choice but to go with it and hope for the best!

BTW I am excited to try your Broccoli Pasta salad recipe! I have to use elbow because I forgot to pick up more spirals. Also I may seperate the recipe to make half with bacon and half without... I realized that about 7 guests don't eat pork (and I have ALOT of pork items!! lol)

Deelady

Thanks Cooksie I hope so :)
We just ordered pizza because there is NO WAY I am cookking dinner tonight! lol

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh Dee, it sounds sumptuous! I'm sure everyone will be delighted. Don't have a heatstroke getting everything ready, now. Drink lots and lots of fluids, OK?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dee, that is downright damned impressive! I know you like to cook, but that's a monumental effort, in this heat and with a couple of kids running around! Sheesh!

Sounds as if you have it under control, though.

Whenever you get a chance, would you please post your recipe for Bacon Pull Bread? I think I'd like to just have that and beer and it would be a happy party for me! LOL!

Oh, and post whatever pictures you manage to take before everything gets devoured!

Lee

Deelady

Thanks Karen and I will :)

And thanks as well Lee it has been...interesting with these two girls underfoot but at least tomorrow there will many plenty of other kids to keep them occupied!

I'll post the link to that pull bread right now! The pics will have you drooling!! :D

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
WOW! Dee, that is a feast fit for a king! :w00t:

Awesome menu! That is going to be one heck of a cookout!!!!

Oh…….and I just fired all of my people! :yum:

Deelady

Thanks Keltin :D

Oh and I decided to give my people one more chance (being that they are only 1 and 4 yrs old) but I gave them a written warning and docked their pay!! They assured me it WILL NOT happen again!

:yum:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Keltin :D

Oh and I decided to give my people one more chance (being that they are only 1 and 4 yrs old) but I gave them a written warning and docked their pay!! They assured me it WILL NOT happen again!

:yum:

:yum::yum::yum:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well, I was trying to be nice, but I didn't get my invitation either :sad:

You could just sit a bowl of crumbled bacon next to the broccoli pasta salad and people can add as much or as little as they want and you won't have to make separate salads.

Deelady

Sorry Mama, it won't happen again!:oops:

and if I put the bacon on the side it won't look nearly as pretty!! :( But maybe, I'll see. Thanks.

Deelady

Ok heres pics of my party spread, I tried to take pics before too much was eaten :D I also took tutorial pics of me making the Lumpia Eggrolls that I will post in the Lumpia thread from awhile back....if I can find it!

Also I had forgotten to take pics of the desert but they looked exactly the same as the last time I made them so I added those pics! lol

Attachments

• SUMMER 792.jpg
    SUMMER 792.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 108
  • SUMMER 793.jpg
    SUMMER 793.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 110
  • SUMMER 794.jpg
    SUMMER 794.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 114
  • SUMMER 795.jpg
    SUMMER 795.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 113
  • SUMMER 796.jpg
    SUMMER 796.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 111
  • SUMMER 797.jpg
    SUMMER 797.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 119
  • SUMMER 798.jpg
    SUMMER 798.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 110
  • SUMMER 800.jpg
    SUMMER 800.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 118
  • SUMMER 802.jpg
    SUMMER 802.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 114
  • garden 080.jpg
    garden 080.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 114
  • SUMMER 447.jpg
    SUMMER 447.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 107

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Are you still standing, Dee? That looks magnificent. I hope everyone was properly grateful for such a banquet.

Deelady

Oh I was hurting this morning but have recovered now!! lol And yes everyone was very happy and appreciative, I knew they would be that is why I don't mind the work, it does the heart good to see people enjoy themselves and esp to see them try and enjoy new foods!
I didn't even take pics of the platters outside of all the dips and trays I made lol :D

Only thing I didn't get to make was the bacon cheddar bread...by the time I got to it everyone was eating dinner and I knew we had already plenty of food! lol oh well next time! :)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That is amazing Dee!!! Awesome job! I don't know how you did all that in such a short time, but it is incredible!! :clap:

And, uh, I just hired my people back JUST so I can fire them again!!!! :lol:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
:ohmy: DEE!!!!!! You are an excellent hostess. Beautiful Spread!

You decided to put the bacon bits in the salad?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Holy mackerel, Dee! What a HUGE amount of work!

And it all looked fantastic! Great, great job!

Lee

homecook

Great job Dee!! Everything looked wonderful! I knew you would pull it off..........I've seen you in action. LOL

Deelady

Thank you ladies :D Mama I seperated a small bowl before I added the bacon for those who wanted no bacon (no one touched that bowl!) lol
GG I completely agree!! Holy cow can you imagine the spread we'd have even if each member only made one dish each!!!

Barb we make a great team in the kitchen ;)

homecook

Thank you ladies :D Mama I seperated a small bowl before I added the bacon for those who wanted no bacon (no one touched that bowl!) lol
GG I completely agree!! Holy cow can you imagine the spread we'd have even if each member only made one dish each!!!

Barb we make a great team in the kitchen ;)

Yes, we do, don't we? Glad everything worked out well! :smile: