Pizza Meatloaf -- TNT!!

FryBoy

I love meatloaf. Always have -- my mother made a good version, albeit pretty basic. My wife loves it, too, and we make several different versions over the course of a year, some beef, some turkey, some force meat. This one, however is a family favorite and considered to be comfort food in our home.

This recipe for "Pizza Meatloaf" is from an unlikely source, the La Leche League Cookbook, entitled "Mothers in the Kitchen," published in 1971. Being children of the 60s (I graduated from college in 1968, my wife in 1971, and yes, I do remember some of the 60s), we of course went to breast-feeding classes put on by the LLL when Sue got pregnant in the fall of 1971. Our wonderful daughter, Stephanie was born in July 1972 (she's now a lawyer -- where did we go wrong?). Thus the cookbook.

The recipe is nothing spectacular, but like everything in the book, it's good and obviously very healthful (no, it doesn't include human milk). It became a family favorite because when she was a child, Stephanie would actually eat it, and we've enjoyed it now and then ever since. Even our grandkids like it. Sue had foot surgery on Friday and wanted some comfort food tonight, so she chose this. It's really quite tasty and very easy to make.

Here's the recipe, with some photos below. It's unchanged from the original -- except my directions are a little clearer:

PIZZA MEATLOAF

1½ pounds lean ground beef
1 small onion, finely diced
¾ cup oatmeal
¼ cup wheat germ
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ cup catsup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 to 2 teaspoons oregano
¼ to ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
6 ounces grated or sliced mozzarella cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Grease 9” x 5” x 2¾” loaf pan.

3. Mix together all ingredients EXCEPT cheese; beat egg first, then add catsup and Worcestershire,
then mix in salt and spices, then add dry ingredients and mix well to combine;
add meat last, and mix with finger until well combined).

4. Put one third of meat mixture in bottom of loaf pan.

5. Put half the cheese on top of meat in pan.

6. Put another third of the meat on top of the cheese.

7. Put the remaining cheese on top of the meat.

8. Put the remaining meat on top and smooth the loaf.

9. Bake at 350 degrees for 60 to 80 minutes; allow to rest about 10 minutes before cutting and serving.

10. If desired, spread some catsup on the loaf and top with
additional cheese and other toppings about 20 minutes
before the meatloaf is done.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_1322.jpg
    IMG_1322.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_1325.jpg
    IMG_1325.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 220

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Good Lord!
Yeah, that is the bomb FB.
Your pics as always, are spectacular.
Karma coming.
This would be great for a carry- in at work.
Thank you muchly. :)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oooooo, I will try it, too! Looks wonderful, Doug - thanks!

Lee

buckytom

Grill Master
man oh manischewitz! fry, that looks great! copied and saved. i'll be making this soon using turkey.

force meat?

goatherder

thanks for the laugh! and the recipe...I too have given unlikely source credit to the Le Leche League recipes, but my cookbook is their "Whole Foods for the Whole Family" published in 1981...still use it today..

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
As soon as the weather cools a little I want to try this.

Lefty, you live in MAINE, for heaven's sakes! Where you have 10 months of winter and 2 months of poor skiing.

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I know i will like this. i was raised on wheat germ and i put it in many things for the girls also. i have always used oatmeal and bread crumbs in my meatloaf now i use only oatmeal in it.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made this tonight, and man, was it good!

I didn't want to go get wheat germ for 1/4 cup, and I had multigrain hot cereal mix, so I used a whole cup of that. I think the cereal makes the meatloaf VERY rich and delicious!

I added some chopped garlic, topped the loaf with tomato sauce, cheese, fresh oregano and pizza seasoning.

I think next time I will try this with ground turkey.

Good one, Doug!

Served it with roasted kohlrabi, butternut squash and garlic cloves.

Lee

Attachments

• Multigrain cereal.JPG
    Multigrain cereal.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 144
  • Pizza meatloaf.JPG
    Pizza meatloaf.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 139
  • Pizza meatloaf and kohlrabi and squash.JPG
    Pizza meatloaf and kohlrabi and squash.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 167

mhend

Was thinking we were going to have spaghetti and meatballs for dinner, but I have changed my mind. This looks sooooo good. Gonna try it tonight! :)

mhend

I love meatloaf. Always have -- my mother made a good version, albeit pretty basic. My wife loves it, too, and we make several different versions over the course of a year, some beef, some turkey, some force meat. This one, however is a family favorite and considered to be comfort food in our home.

This recipe for "Pizza Meatloaf" is from an unlikely source, the La Leche League Cookbook, entitled "Mothers in the Kitchen," published in 1971. Being children of the 60s (I graduated from college in 1968, my wife in 1971, and yes, I do remember some of the 60s), we of course went to breast-feeding classes put on by the LLL when Sue got pregnant in the fall of 1971. Our wonderful daughter, Stephanie was born in July 1972 (she's now a lawyer -- where did we go wrong?). Thus the cookbook.

The recipe is nothing spectacular, but like everything in the book, it's good and obviously very healthful (no, it doesn't include human milk). It became a family favorite because when she was a child, Stephanie would actually eat it, and we've enjoyed it now and then ever since. Even our grandkids like it. Sue had foot surgery on Friday and wanted some comfort food tonight, so she chose this. It's really quite tasty and very easy to make.

Here's the recipe, with some photos below. It's unchanged from the original -- except my directions are a little clearer:

PIZZA MEATLOAF

1½ pounds lean ground beef
1 small onion, finely diced
¾ cup oatmeal
¼ cup wheat germ
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ cup catsup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 to 2 teaspoons oregano
¼ to ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
6 ounces grated or sliced mozzarella cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Grease 9” x 5” x 2¾” loaf pan.

3. Mix together all ingredients EXCEPT cheese; beat egg first, then add catsup and Worcestershire,
then mix in salt and spices, then add dry ingredients and mix well to combine;
add meat last, and mix with finger until well combined).

4. Put one third of meat mixture in bottom of loaf pan.

5. Put half the cheese on top of meat in pan.

6. Put another third of the meat on top of the cheese.

7. Put the remaining cheese on top of the meat.

8. Put the remaining meat on top and smooth the loaf.

9. Bake at 350 degrees for 60 to 80 minutes; allow to rest about 10 minutes before cutting and serving.

10. If desired, spread some catsup on the loaf and top with
additional cheese and other toppings about 20 minutes
before the meatloaf is done.

Enjoy!

This was a winner at our house! Thank you for the recipe! :)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
mhend, do you agree about the richness of flavor that the cereal imparts?

Lee

mhend

mhend, do you agree about the richness of flavor that the cereal imparts?

Lee

I do! I didn't have wheat germ either, so I used the cereal too. I have always used breadcrumbs in my meatloaf, but after using the oatmeal/cereal I can say that it added a whole new dimension to the flavor. It was really good. My 2 year old daughter even ate it and she is an extremely picky eater!