Pie Susan's Oatmeal Cowboy Cookies

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Pie Susan's Oatmeal Cowboy Cookies (TNT)
based on the recipe on the Quaker Oats box for Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies
These are the oatmeal cookies that I make most often. Sometimes, I split the dough and make half with raisins, cinnamon and chopped nuts and half with chocolate chips and chopped nuts, but more often than not, I add raisins, cinnamon, chopped nuts, and chocolate chips to the entire recipe.
Makes about 6 dozen or so cookies.

Ingredients:
1/2 pound (2 sticks) margarine or butter, softened
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional--I leave it out)
3 cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1 cup chocolate chips

Directions:
Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, beat the margarine and sugars until creamy. Add the eggs and the vanilla; beat well. Combine the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon and add them mixing well. Add oats, nuts, chocolate chips and raisins on slow speed and mix well. Drop cookie dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake cookies for 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.

Variation:
BAR COOKIES: Press dough onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered. Makes 24 bar cookies.