Pie help

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I went to the store to buy meat to make homemade Kielbasa. Wandered through the produce area. Rhubarb caught my eye, right next to it strawberries.

My Gramma and Rhubarb pie went through my head. I hadda have it. Now I am home with the goods and the recipes are asking for instant tapioca. I don't have any. I am thinking it is a thickener as they are only asking for 2 Tbsp.

Could I use Cornstarch?

Thank You in advance

Andy

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I would just substitute cornstarch for the tapioca....I'd keep the measurement the same. I wouldn't waste my time going back to the store. The pie filling may not be shiny like tapioca would make it but it shouldn't change the taste any.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Thank You - I will go with that. I just finished making 5# of Kielbasa to smoke tomorrow. I am a bit tired.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
LOL Lee.

I did not get pix last night as I had kielbasa pretty much up to my elbows. I am NEVER stuffing sausage with a KA mixer again.

I will get pix of smoking it today. The recipe is different from what I expected. I used this one.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,2218,155179-231202,00.html

I used to make sausage a long time ago. This is my first attempt at Kielbasa and reviving my sausage making memories and adding in smoking it.

This is all ChileFarmer's fault (Thank you CF). The bacon he inspired was great. Also thank you Lee for some PM's. They helped a lot.

Andy

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Oh! BTW - The BBQ thermometer came last night. It also works great as an oven temp checker. My oven is off by 25 degrees, but overall is stays on temp while cooking due to opening the door to check progress.