Picking wild mushrooms

Johnny West

I looked this morning and it appears they are done in this patch.
I'll check again tonight after it warms up.

Johnny West

The neighbor got back from AZ yesterday so took him over a bag of dried morels. He said there were a lot more I could have and he wasn't kidding.
###Houby I copy.jpg
###Houby II copy.jpg
###Houby III.jpg
###Houby V.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny West

The big ones I cleaned, froze and will fry up when I get home from UT. I had some minor oral surgery yesterday and want to heal up so I can enjoy them.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have yet to find any morels, but the weather has been so hot and muggy this summer, that I went hunting for boletes.

Just found a few, and one little chanterelle. Dehydrated them in my toaster oven and added to the mesh bag I keep in the kitchen closet.

Will try again later this month.

Lee
Mushrooms raw.JPG
Mushrooms dry.JPG

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's been years since I've had a wild mushroom harvest anywhere near as good as today's was! Thanks to my friend, Barbara Carlin, for going into the woods with me - she has natural "mushroom eyes"!

Lot of fun!

Will clean and dehydrate tomorrow.

Lee

Mushroom haul, july 2021.JPG

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This 2021 late summer/fall season continues to be great for all kinds of fungi! Through a couple of Facebook groups and several books I own, I'm learning a LOT about other kinds of edibles that I've never picked before. I've been foraging almost every day.

I'm almost brand-new to cooking with fresh wild mushrooms, since I've always just picked boletes and dried them for Polish mushroom soup. Very exciting to learn about other edible fungi, and with some of my first pick of milky caps (Lactarius hygrophoroides), I made a sauce of butter-sauteed milky caps and shallots to pour over guyere-topped chicken patties and egg noodles. Garnished with parsley and toasted pine nuts. We LOVED it!

Lee

Milky.JPG

P.JPG