Picking wild mushrooms

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Was the second batch from his backyard, too????

What kind of yard does he have that encourages morels? What kind of trees, soil, regular lawn?

Lee

Johnny West

heheheheh, he lives next to an 80 + woods with lots of dead and blow down trees. He has it all; mushrooms, deer, ramps, coons, turkey, rabbits, and squirrels. He owns over 10 acres and has three connected farm ponds.

His yard is a series of gardens, prairie grass, trees, and cover. He likes to live off the fat of the land.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
heheheheh, he lives next to an 80 + woods with lots of dead and blow down trees. He has it all; mushrooms, deer, ramps, coons, turkey, rabbits, and squirrels. He owns over 10 acres and has three connected farm ponds.

His yard is a series of gardens, prairie grass, trees, and cover. He likes to live off the fat of the land.

Okay, I'll be right over!

Lee

Johnny West

They did well again this year.

Tuesday morning, when I was about to leave for the fishing trip, my neighbor came over with a bag of morels he found in the gravel beside his driveway. A few years ago we found a dozen small ones. These are much bigger.

Tonight is mushrooms and scrambled eggs with a side of bacon.
########Morels.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

medtran49

Site Supporter
Lovely, I am seriously jealous. Only way we can get fresh morels is to have some overnighted.

Johnny West

Last year I was over talking to the neighbor and spotted the mushrooms where his old wood pile used to be. There were about a dozen small one and we split them. I doubt he ate his. I put the six I had in a marinara. He found these is the same spot. Tonight I did scrambled houby and eggs with an an excellent marble rye bread from WinCo. I used the smaller ones and chopped for the eggs. The others were cut in half, washed, and put in the dehydrator. It's been muggy, rainy, warm, and had thunder and lightening this afternoon which is rare for the NW. I'll check tomorrow to see if more sprouted.

Attachments

• ########Houby and Eggs.JPG
    ########Houby and Eggs.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 224

Johnny West

These aren't wild but sure look like it. We got some oyster mushrooms at WinCo and they were excellent. These were sautéed in ghee with S&P added.

Attachments

• @Mushroom Oyster.jpg
    @Mushroom Oyster.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 202

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yum!

I just saw your post from last May, John, and that looks terrific! What's houby?

Lee

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
those morels-- gorgeous-- cannot believe how much they get to be, here~~

Johnny West

Last night pulled a few weeds by my house and found a little morel. My neighbor usually has an area that provides a nice mess and since they are in AZ I went over and there they were. I'll dry some and have some in scrambled eggs for dinner.
###Morels.jpg

Sass Muffin

🎄 Coffee Queen
Gold Site Supporter
Hmmm.. maybe I can find some.
Goodness knows I'm in the right area.

Attachments

• 20180423_104805.png
    20180423_104805.png
    405.2 KB · Views: 182

Johnny West

This morning I did up a mess of houby sautéed in ghee, added eggs and hog jowl bacon on the side. I baked the bacon and it came out brilliant.
###Houby I.jpg
###Houby II.jpg
###Houby MS.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
John, is there any left? I'll be right over!

I've been going on Youtube, trying to learn how to identify deciduous trees without leaves, to help in morel-hunting. Yesterday, I took a walk in tree-laden cemetery and it's more difficult than I thought. I wanted to find elms, and I think all I saw were oaks.

Lee

Sass Muffin

🎄 Coffee Queen
Gold Site Supporter
According to a group I joined on FB, they are plentiful around here right now along the dam path amongst the trees, but you must be willing to explore and look for them.
Also being mindful that there are some which look similar. No no no!
So if I have a day where I can go "hunting" I shall.
They're from here to Independence and Jewell following the river and beyond.

I recall my Father being home on leave from the service and knowing exactly where to go to find these in a more southern county.
He also knew where to find asparagus growing wild and pawpaw.

I'll remember what you told me about hollow stems John.
Thanks!