Pet peeves about Cooking Shows.

Shermie

Site Supporter
When watching the Food Network at night, my most annoying pet peeve is this. That every blasted show is a challenge one!! The days then there were just straight-up cooking shows are gone forever!! They've all been replaced by THIS crap!! Emeril Lagasse & others left the network because of this!! :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
When watching the Food Network at night, every blasted show is a challenge one!! The days then there were just straight-up cooking shows are gone forever!! They've all been replaced by THIS crap!! Emeril Lagasse & others left the network because of this!! :eek:

Watch PBS, Shermie. America's Test Kitchen, Cook's Country and Milk Street are three shows that I regularly watch. I also like the Greek lady's show, Diane Kotchilis or something like that. I might buy her first book.

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
Watch PBS, Shermie. America's Test Kitchen, Cook's Country and Milk Street are three shows that I regularly watch. I also like the Greek lady's show, Diane Kotchilis or something like that. I might buy her first book.

Lee
There also was the Cooking Network. I wonder if it's still on. :unsure:

Shermie

Site Supporter
There also was the Cooking Network. I wonder if it's still on. :unsure:
Just looked & it's still on. It used to show some of the old straight-up cooking shows from the Food network. Wonder about that, also. :unsure:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yeah, for instance, for years, Valerie Bertinelli was an actress in a comedy sitcom. Now, voila!! She's a cook on the Food Network's morning weekend lineup!! Where did she get her cooking skills from & who taught her how to cook? There's no mention of that. It's like suddenly, overnight!! She's another one that fancies herself as an authority figure in cooking. Where are her credentials on culinary experiences?!! :eek:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, for instance, for years, Valerie Bertinelli was an actress in a comedy sitcom. Now, voila!! She's a cook on the Food Network's morning weekend lineup!! Where did she get her cooking skills from & who taught her how to cook? There's no mention of that. It's like suddenly, overnight!! She's another one that fancies herself as an authority figure in cooking. Where are her credentials on culinary experiences?!! :eek:
Her Mother, Grandmother....
She's mentioned it before in several interviews throughout the years.
She doesn't fancy herself an authority figure - period.
She loves cooking and is good at it.

Shermie

Site Supporter
All good & well, but where is her sheepskin? In other words, where was she trained?

Shermie

Site Supporter
One of my worst pet peeves was Alton Brown. On Iron Chef America he was one of the hosts. He would always talk himself to death & the sound of his voice really got to me. Then he would always say that Gosh darn it!! I don't know many times he would say that, but it really stepped on a nerve with me!!I got so tired of hearing him rattle on that I would change the channel when that came on!!!! :bolt:

Last edited:

Ironman

🍺
My worst pet peeves is kevin belton. Annoying is an understatement… he touches to many different things with his bare hands, for example . 🤮 I can see why he’s on public tv and doesn’t have a cooking show on FoodTV.

F0B8A1F6-0578-4221-B727-466A9A3AE019.jpeg

Shermie

Site Supporter
My worst pet peeves is kevin belton. Annoying is an understatement… he touches to many different things with his bare hands, for example . 🤮 I can see why he’s on public tv and doesn’t have a cooking show on FoodTV.

View attachment 57203
Isn't he the one who does the vids on the Presto appliances website? :unsure:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Kevin Belton used to be on my PBS station, but isn't anymore.
We have Milk Street, Cooking With Yan, Cooks Country, Lidia, Jacques and I forget who else.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
And unfortunately I just read this is her last season there. They (Food Network) cancelled the show without telling her why……according to her Instagram post.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
When watching the Food Network at night, my most annoying pet peeve is this. That every blasted show is a challenge one!! The days then there were just straight-up cooking shows are gone forever!! They've all been replaced by THIS crap!! Emeril Lagasse & others left the network because of this!! :eek:
Agreed! I hardly watch that network anymore. All reruns 🥱

Shermie

Site Supporter
Agreed! I hardly watch that network anymore. All reruns 🥱

Yeah, Emeril said that he just wanted to cook, not do any of those damn challenge shows. He was all about just straight-up cooking It was what he like doing the best.

And now, if that's not enough, even some of the food commercials have been turned into challenge commercials!! This is so bloody annoying!! The only shows that I watch on that channel at night are Chopped & Diners, Drive-ins & Dives. Everything else stinks to high heaven!! :mad: Except when young children compete in a show. Like they did in Chopped Junior. :whistling:

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
I've never read that Emeril was fired. Supposedly, he was asked by the FN to do a challenge show & he respectfully declined & left the network of his own accord. Yes, I know that Chopped is a challenge show, but I like to watch it at times. :whistling: