Peppermint Marshmallows (TNT)

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Peppermint Marshmallows (TNT)
These can be dipped in tempered dark chocolate or served in hot chocolate. They are a pretty pale pink.
Ingredients:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 1/3 cups sugar
2/3 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup crushed candy canes or mint candies
1/8 tsp salt

Directions:

Into a bowl, sift together powdered sugar and cornstarch. Line a baking pan with foil. Coat with cooking spray and 2 tablespoons sifted sugar cornstarch mixture. Place 2/3 cup water in a bowl, sprinkle with gelatin, let soften 5 minutes.
In a saucepan, heat next 4 ingredients until sugar and candy are dissolved. Strain into bowl with gelatin. Beat until light and fluffy. Spread into pan. Dust with 2 tablespoons sugar cornstarch mixture. Let set 2 hours.
Lift marshmallow from pan with foil. Cut into 6 squares. Spread remaining sugar cornstarch mixture onto a baking sheet. Invert marshmallow block onto sheet, cut each square into 9 pieces. Toss marshmallows into sugar cornstarch mixture and set on a pan to set an additional hour. Makes 54 pieces.
Note: I always use Maida Heatter's marshmallow recipe's directions to help me as a further guide.
For easy clean up, just pour boiled water over everything and soak.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
They are by far better! Once you make your own, you will never want to buy them again, unless you want to toast them. I have never toasted homemade marshmallows.

Phiddlechik

I've made them before, but with honey, sugar, corn syrup, gelatin; a CIA recipe (Baking and Pastry: Mastering the Art and Craft, p. 750)
They toast well, but are better if you let them dry out a bit (like several days). I've made them with gran marnier as a flavoring, and the flavor really pops when toasted. Makes a great s'more!