Peep's Lemon Meringue Pie

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Peep's Lemon Meringue Pie

This pie has a perfect balance of sweet and tart filling and the meringue is nicely flavored.

1 1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. plus 1 TBSP cornstarch
1 1/2 c. water
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
3 TBSP Butter
2 tsp grated lemon peel (zest)
1/2 c. fresh lemon juice (≈ juice of 2 medium lemons)
2 drops yellow food color (optional)
1 - 9 inch (blind) baked pie shell

(Meringue recipe below)

To blind bake pie crust:
Preheat oven to 450°F.
Line pie plate with pastry dough.
Flute edges of dough.
Dock (poke holes with a fork) bottom and sides of dough.
Place waxed paper in the pie plate and weigh down with pie weights, rice or dry beans to prevent it from shrinking or puffing up.
Bake for 10 minutes.
Remove the pie weights and bake an additional 2 minutes or until nicely browned.

Filling:
Preheat oven 400°F.
Mix cornstarch and sugar in 1 ½ quart saucepan.
Stir in water gradually.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute.
Stir at least half of the hot mixture gradually into egg yolks.
Blend into hot mixture in saucepan.
Boil and stir 1 minute.
Remove from heat; stir in butter, lemon peel, lemon juice and food color.
Pour into baked pie shell.
Spoon meringue onto hot pie filling; spread over filling, carefully sealing meringue to edge of crust to prevent shrinking or weeping.
If desired use spatula or whisk to "pull" up the whites here and there to create peeks.
Bake until delicate brown, about 10 minutes.
Cool to room temperature away from draft.
May be served warm or refrigerate till completely chilled (we like it cold).
Refrigerate any remaining pie immediately.

Meringue:
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
6 TBSP Sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
Beat eggs whites and cream of tartar until foamy (I use my kitchen aid stand mixer with a copper bowl insert which reacts with whites and makes a stiff meringue). Beat in sugar, 1 TBSP at a time; continue beating stiff and glossy. DO NOT UNDERBEAT. Beat in vanilla.

lemon_meringue_pie_P1090260.jpg

lemon_meringue_slice_P1090265.jpg

Last edited:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
thanks, peepz. passing recipe to my Mom for Easter. subtle hint. :) she makes the best pie crusts & the step-fam luvs pie.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
thanks, peepz. passing recipe to my Mom for Easter. subtle hint. :) she makes the best pie crusts & the step-fam luvs pie.
Welcome luvie! I like making lemon meringue for Easter also.

I like to put wheat germ in my pie crusts (and biscuits). I learned that from my mom who made excellent pie crusts also. I displace 1 TBSP flour and replace it with 1 TBSP wheat germ for EACH cup of flour. I measure the wheat germ into the measuing cup (if 3 cups of flour first cup has the 3 TBSP of wheat germ in it) first then fill the rest of the way with flour. I am not so good at pie crusts. :sad: I just never excelled at crusts. But my fillings are excellent. LOL Would your mom share her crust recipe?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ohhhh, luvs! That's my mother's very favorite pie!

Beautiful job!

Lee

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
oh, yeah, she would, peepz. (& u should know by now that i, too, suck @ pastry as i despise it's technicalities),....... know where she got it? from an ancient crisco can, so old u couldn't really read it anymore. she knows it by now, though. i know her only special tip was, put the stuff like a mug of ice-h2o/spoons in the freezer, use a good 'ol wooden, chilled pin to make the dough fit the glass, shouln't pack the flour of course; shake away the excess away gentle as can be), tho she knew nothing of using real measinguring spoons & used a man-spoon for chili or soup. she'd patch the tears, if there were any, then leave me to check them for doneness. & then there was pie!

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
lee, they like coconut meringue & apple lately. the kiddos 'er barely into thier 20's so i say let'em pick the kind of pie.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
oh, yeah, she would, peepz. (& u should know by now that i, too, suck @ pastry as i despise it's technicalities),....... know where she got it? from an ancient crisco can, so old u couldn't really read it anymore. she knows it by now, though. i know her only special tip was, put the stuff like a mug of ice-h2o/spoons in the freezer, use a good 'ol wooden, chilled pin to make the dough fit the glass, shouln't pack the flour of course; shake away the excess away gentle as can be), tho she knew nothing of using real measinguring spoons & used a man-spoon for chili or soup. she'd patch the tears, if there were any, then leave me to check them for doneness. & then there was pie!
Mom would measure the crisco by water/ice displacement method - she would put ice and water into a tupperware bowl to tip top then scoop out the amount of water equiv to amount of crisco then put the crisco into the bowl till the water was at the tip top again. LOL

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
aren't Mom's the best,..... your's used displacement. i tried early on to convince my Mom to use displacement; she rather made me measure the crisco into tupperware. she's a stickler for routine. moms.......