Peep's a.c. and car

Sass Muffin

#coffeefreak
Gold Site Supporter
Re: What are you eating Sunday, 7/19/2020 to Saturday, 7/25/2020?

I wonder if we can move this discussion to rants and raves?
Jimmy's lost track of the current dinner thread, as this one has reached it's sell by date.
:smile:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

I wonder if we can move this discussion to rants and raves?
Jimmy's lost track of the current dinner thread, as this one has reached it's sell by date.
:smile:

Good suggestion to move this section of a dinner thread, Sass - thanks! Since there are so many posts on the subject, I gave it a thread of its own.

I'll move Jimmy's dinner post to this week's dinner thread.

Lee

Last edited:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

OK.... But here is the answer to a bad cord. Supposedly!
Was it Cooling / Producing cold or cool from the outlet, while the cord was hot? If it WAS Cooling, then it may very well be a defective Cord; which is causing a resistance and voltage drop to the unit.
If there was No COOL air being produced, then there is something else wrong; like a shorted Run Capacitor. A run capacitor, is like in cooking.
A low flame and trying to sear a thick piece of meat, with a low small flame, is not going to work. Not enough Heat to sear properly.
Well with a compressor motor, the capacitor supplies ~ 370 volts to the motor; so that it runs fast and strong. With a defective capacitor, the motor does not run, and or have enough boost, which causes the voltage to drop like a weak battery in a car.

I agree, more chance its inside the unit rather than the cord. Capacitors are notorious for failure in more than a/c units.

Disclaimer:

Although I’m an electrical engineer i missed the class on air conditioning. But I did use the a/c at the Holiday Inn Express last night.

Embryodad

Peeps..... did the A/C guy replace the power cord on the house A/C unit ?
Been praying you would be back up and running. Hopefully!

lilbopeep

Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I'm praying hard for you poor folks....
We lost power for 15 MINUTES today, and I was in a panic.
I cannot imagine you and your family without A/C

Thanks for the prays Jimmy.

We lost power for 1 hour on Wednesday but I was out in car A/C taking DD somewhere.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
OK. A/C Update:
So I first called Best Buy on Sunday 7/19/20 and was told I would get a call on Mon. 7/20/20 from the service/repair company that handles A/C units by 4 pm. I never got the call. Was told by Best Buy call repair company (gave me number) tomorrow during business hours on Tues. 7/21/20.
I called. Left message. Got call back 5 hours later and was told first available appointment was Wed. 7/29/20.
They came on 7/29/20 told me I needed a "cord". They ordered it (ETA 7/31/20) and would let me know when it came in and make an appointment.
8/4/20 part still not in.
8/12/20 got call saying part came in and set appointment for next day.
8/13/20 They came at 12:30 pm. Took 2 minutes and said they were sent the wrong part. 3 weeks of blasting heat and wrong part was sent!
One of the guys says, "You have a Home Depot close around here?".
I say "yes 5 minutes up the road".
He says, "We'll be back". And they leave.
1 1/2 hours later they came back. NOT with a cord BUT the plug that goes in the outlet. Stupid me thought the whole cord needed to be removed and replaced! It took all of MAYBE 15 minutes for them to cut and strip the wires and attach to new plug. Job done!! A/C works!! Thank you lord it's cold again and I can breathe easy again.

BUT WHY THE HELL COULDN'T THEY go to Home Depot 3 weeks a go and fix it during the first service call? 1 week after it crappy out.

OK rant over for now.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Holy SHEET!

Did you have to pay anything at all? Are you going to take any action, e.g. writing to Best Buy's head of customer service? And/or at least writing your story on Yelp or some other review website?

I'm glad your a.c. is back!

Lee

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Holy SHEET!

Did you have to pay anything at all? Are you going to take any action, e.g. writing to Best Buy's head of customer service? And/or at least writing your story on Yelp or some other review website?

I'm glad your a.c. is back!

Lee

I’m glad its fixed but there’s NO REASON other than incompetence or stupidity it wasn’t fixed weeks ago! 😡

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Good Grief, you shouldn't have had to go through all of that. Go pile up on the sofa and bask in the cool air. I can't even imagine going that long with no AC. Our temps are reaching 100.

I'm happy for you.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
It didn’t cost anything because I got a service plan. I don’t want to complain at THIS time because there is 2 more years on my plan and they are the only company that works for Best Buy in this area. I want them to come if I need service. But once this plan is up I will be writing something. It still was quicker than Sears. They jerked us around from Memorial Day till after July 4.

I want to get a 240 dedicated line for a 24,500 BTU unit.

Last weeks were around 95F at 1 am. Last night it was 67F during the night.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Weather bureau says its 107 here. My thermometer says 109 :bounce:

Attachments

• A05514E6-5102-4DC3-BF1A-78DDB82E169B.jpg
    A05514E6-5102-4DC3-BF1A-78DDB82E169B.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 30

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Well the car is back at Pep Boy's. It's going to cost $2,200.00 to fix. Not sure when we will be able to get it fixed.

It's something with the manifold, oil pump and spark plugs.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well the car is back at Pep Boy's. It's going to cost $2,200.00 to fix. Not sure when we will be able to get it fixed.

Sorry you’re having problems 😱

Cooksie

Site Supporter

I feel for you. I was crying over a $600 repair.