Palachinta

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
This is Shoshana Herman's recipe; she is a fantastic gourmet cook and was the wife of the late rabbi who helped name me.

Palachinta (Hungarian crepes with jam or nut filling)

Ingredients:
3 eggs
1 cup milk (club soda may be substituted to make pareve dessert crepes)
1/3 cup freshly opened club soda
1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
3 Tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt (I use a pinch)
shortening or butter for frying

Filling:
Apricot, strawberry or raspberry jam, ground walnuts mixed with sugar, or your favorite cheese filling

Directions:
Beat eggs lightly; add milk and soda. With wooden spoon, stir in flour, sugar and salt. Stir until batter is smooth. Melt 1 teaspoon butter or shortening in a 6-inch crepe or pancake pan; ladle enough batter to cover bottom of the pan thinly. When lightly browned on one side, turn and brown lightly on the other side.

When pancake is done, spread about 2 teaspoonfuls of jam over it, roll it loosely. Do the same with any other filling. To keep crepes warm, put in baking dish in a 200 degree oven. Serve warm as a dessert.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
We had these for dinner on Friday when Catholic's did not eat meat on Fridays, and we called them Palachinka (Croatian). Mom's filling was whatever jam was in the cupboard (usually strawberry or raspberry) along with cottage cheese. She rolled them up and topped them with sour cream. Her crepes were simply her homemade pancake dough thinned with milk, and she made them in her electric fry pan right at the table. As fast as they were made, they were eaten. That's life with 5 boys in the house. There was never a need to keep them warm or be concerned with leftovers.:yum: My kids still like to remember Grandma Valencic by coming to our house for Palachinka on Fridays during Lent.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, those sound absolutely fantastic, Susan and Joe!

Susan, thanks for sharing the recipe, and Joe, thanks for sharing the story.

You must have LOVED those Friday night Lenten dinners, Joe!

Lee

buckytom

Grill Master
This is Shoshana Herman's recipe; she is a fantastic gourmet cook and was the wife of the late rabbi who helped name me..

your rabbi must have really liked pie, susan. :mrgreen:

bah dum dum

doesn't it drive you nuts when the rabbi is late, unless it's a briss..

<<<<rimshot - crash!!!>>>

j/k susan, good to see you 'round.

my mom made us what she called norwegian crepes for us when we were kids, but i've never remembered to get a recipe for them from her. thanks for posting this: copied and saved. i'll be spending some time at my parents' house hopefully soon, so i'm psyched to make these for breakfast for everyone.

we used to fill ours with either butter and sugar, or strawberry jam. the nuts sound like a great idea.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL, BT, you cornball!

Reminder: Get Norwegian Crepes recipe from your mom when you visit!

Lee

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Susan, my father has often commented about his mother making them. He pronounced it a little different, something like Pala-chink-us. Maybe I'll head down and try out your recipe on him this weekend. Sounds great!