Outdoor DO

mhend

We stopped by a Lodge CI outlet on the way home from TN today and I found this. Can't wait to use it!! Keltin's Jamabalya post looked so good and it sounds like so much fun to use, I couldn't resist! :thumb:

DSC_0073.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That's an awesome DO! Lodge is a great name for CI, and it's pre-seasoned. Even though it is pre-seasoned, you may want to go ahead and give it another seasoning coat in your oven before first use.

That looks like an 8?

If so, you'll need to adjust your recipe based on mine. My DO is a 10.

The basic charcoal formula is 2x the diameter for 350 degrees, then 2 coals per 25 degrees above that. I typically run my recipes with 22 coals to give me roughly 375 degrees. That's 2 x 10 = 20 for 350 + 2 = 22 for 375.

You'll want to adjust yours to 2 x 8 = 16 for 350 + 2 for 18 = 375.

Also, the 8 is a 2 qt unit whereas a 10 is 4 qts, so be mindful of that.

I'd start with something simple first to get a feel for using an outdoor DO. It's cool out now, so try this easy chili recipe. Nothing fancy, just a way to learn how to use your new DO.

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2408

Adjust that recipe for a single pack of chili mix - 1 batch instead of 2. You can also get away with only cooking it for 1 hour.

I'd put 8 coals under the DO and 10 on top. Then immediately add very lean ground beef (no need to pre-heat). Let that cook (covered) for 10 minutes or so till the meat is done. Since it is lean, you don't have to drain the fat. Now proceed with the recipe (as shown on the McCormick's chili seasoning pack) and cook covered and undisturbed for 1 hour and 10 or 15 minutes…..till your coals are nearly gone.

Let us know how it turns out for you!

mhend

Thanks, Keltin. It's actually a 12. I wanted a 10, but they had sold out of that size. Chili would be really good - maybe that's what I'll do tonight. :)