Osso Bucco

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Has anyone here ever made Osso Bucco? Today I was at Costco with a friend, and they had the veal shanks. I offered to try to make it and invited them to dinner. NOW WHAT?????????

I've never cooked it or even tasted it. So now I have to figure this out.

Anyone ever had it? Cooked it? What should I expect? Got a good recipe?

Anyone? Vera, maybe???

buckytom

Grill Master
i've made it a few times, ss. it's very easy in a crock pot with some wine, carrots, celery, bay, and garlic.

lemme see if i can find a recipe. the hard drive in the computer on my desk at work fried, so i'm still finding out what i've lost.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I think I own at least 2 of every kitchen appliance ever invented - except a crock pot. Can I assume (oh no) that your recipe will convert to a slow braise in the oven?

buckytom

Grill Master
yes, of course with a good, heavy d.o. or covered deep saute.

just off the top of my head, you brown the floured and seasoned veal shanks in butter and evoo. if you can, get your butcher to cut the shanks into hockey pucks. brown, then set aside.

add diced carrots and celery to sweat until golden in a little evoo and butter. set aside.

sweat diced onions and garlic until golden, add bay leaves and parsley, and stir in chopped (skinned) plum tomatoes.

deglaze with white wine, bringing wine to a boil until it starts to reduce.

stir in zest of half an orange.

add carrots/celery back to pot and stir, nestle the shanks into veggies and wine, add some veal stock to bring liquid level up to the sides (but now covering) the veal shanks.

cover and put in a 350 degree oven for an hour to an hour and a half, or on low on the stovetop until the veal pulls away from the bone easily.

serve over orzo or rice.

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I make it 3-4 times/yr - you were veddy lucky to stumble on the veal shanks - around here they're about impossible to get except by special order - and that sometimes doesn't work either!

buckytom's receipe is as good as any I've seen - they only vary by bits of seasoning.
I like to brown mine on the ends before the braise, I do the braise covered on the stovetop with a flame tamer. you want the sauce to be slightly thick, not watery.

90 minutes would be on the short time for my stovetop method, tho.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
I use something similar to Buckytom's recipe. I use a large (11" x 4") saute pan on top of the stove.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
BuckyTom said:
the hard drive in the computer on my desk at work fried, so i'm still finding out what i've lost.

Bucky - Why is it that techies (me included) never have backups? LOL

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I don't know if you have made this yet but on "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef" today, Anne Burrell is doing, "The secret to Osso Bucco" at noon if you are still interested.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
When you make osso bucco, think stew..it's the same procedure, basically. It's about reductions and long slow cooking. Wine and tomato are used. Sear your meat to make a roux,add your wine. Add stock.

I almost always serve the shanks over polenta, but I've also been happy using pappardelle.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Thanks for all the advice. I followed it and the osso bucco was wonderful!
I pretty much followed what you all said here.

Tied the shanks so they wouldn't fall apart, and patted them dry so they would brown nicely. Seasoned liberally. Seared in olive oil in a hot dutch oven on both sides and removed to a plate. Deglazed the pan with white wine, and poured it over the shanks.

Sauteed onion. carrot, celery in more olive oil until tender. Added more wine, stock, a can of diced tomatoes, bay leaf, garlic. Nestled the shanks back into the pot and brought to a simmer. Covered and put it in a 325 oven for 2 hours. Served it with gremolata made from lemon zest, minced garlic and parsley.

Placed it over risotto milanese and served some of the vegetables & sauce around it.

It was fabulous! I will definitely do it again.

Attachments

• osso bucco 003.jpg
    osso bucco 003.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,153

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh my gosh, YES!!!

SS, that tastes even better than it looks, in my very vivid imagination!!

Lee

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I saw Guy make this last week, and i ordered my Veal Shanks yesterday for next Friday...

Hope I'm as successful as SS appears to have been !

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Well, the Veal Shanks won't happen this weekend.......He Promises them for next w/end !
RATZ !

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
With the price of veal shank approaching prime steak prices, lamb shanks, as Lily said, or beef short ribs respond well to the same treatment.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Gee, I must have lucked out. I got veal shanks at Costco for $5.99 a pound. I didn't find that unreasonable.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
Yes you did. I haven't seen it at Costco here, but the price is around $10-12 in other locations if you can find it.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
My shanks have arrived.............. Amazingly, I paid $4.29 a pound !!
VealShanks1.jpg

VealShanks2.jpg

Unfortunately, I wasn't expecting them to show up till next Thursday, so
I'll have to freeze them till next weekend

Cooksie

Site Supporter

Looks like the start of a great Valentine's Day meal to me :bounce:.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Could have been, I bet;
I already made something for Valentine's Day............Reservations!

PanchoHambre

I really wanted to make this this weekend. Went to Reading Terminal just for this and the cut the butcher had was so small and pathetic and so expensive I decided to go with something else. maybe next time.

where did you get these for that price LT they wanted $11 a pound at RTM and they looked little and sad

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
VealShanks1.jpg

VealShanks2.jpg

Where did you get those shanks at that price? If they were shipped in, maybe I could get them shipped to me. I have stopped making Osso Bucco due the price of shanks here.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I really wanted to make this this weekend. Went to Reading Terminal just for this and the cut the butcher had was so small and pathetic and so expensive I decided to go with something else. maybe next time.

where did you get these for that price LT they wanted $11 a pound at RTM and they looked little and sad

I got them at the Amish Market..............you have to order them the weekend before you need them......... and I'm amazed at how much meat is on these pieces....................

http://www.phillyfunguide.com/venue/detail/13886

http://www.bristolamishmarket.com/

Where did you get those shanks at that price? If they were shipped in, maybe I could get them shipped to me. I have stopped making Osso Bucco due the price of shanks here.

Where y'at, bigjim ?

Last edited: