Ohhhhh-Kayyyy!

Biskit

About 4 days ago, I got a warning of virus infection from a site that has the appearances of Windows Security. We have McAfee installed and got no warning from them.

Now, the Windows Security Center won't go away. Keeps popping up with alerts. However, it's not a free download and wants $$$. Is anyone aware of something like this going around that is NOT legit?

How do I get rid of the thing? We have Windows Vista and I, for the life of me, can't get a system restore point set to a date previous of the first sight of this warning.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That "warning" you're seeing is actually a virus! It pops up and looks like a legit security warning, but that is the nature of the virus. And it's a pain in the butt to get rid of!

Download Avast and run it. I got this virus once a while back (from a Tech site no-less!!!) which is how I got turned onto Avast.

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

Deelady

I had that popping up as well for awhile I just kept closing it through control alt delete.....it stopped after awhile.

Biskit

Well, I did the Avast thing as Keltin suggested. So far, no popup! Thanks Kelt! I gave you karma for your smarts! :brows:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Well, I did the Avast thing as Keltin suggested. So far, no popup! Thanks Kelt! I gave you karma for your smarts! :brows:

Excellent! Glad it worked.....and I think you're another Avast convert now? :smile:

I LOVE Avast. Not only is it free, but it updates daily and can catch things that many pay programs miss or can't handle!

Biskit

Yeah, I am. I don't understand how McAfee missed this! We even paid for this virus killer about two months back when we had our pc in for de-bugging and upgrading.

I hate Windows Vista because I couldn't restore the system to a time about two weeks ago...

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Same thing happened to me! I used to pay for “PC Security Shield” which was rated higher than McAfee…..and it couldn’t handle this particular problem. But Avast, a free program, caught it and knocked it out! Go figure.

In the end, I think it is because the guys at Avast are passionate about making a good program and not so concerned about just getting a quick buck. They want to be the best. Their passion shows in the strength of their program!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Same thing happened to me! I used to pay for “PC Security Shield” which was rated higher than McAfee…..and it couldn’t handle this particular problem. But Avast, a free program, caught it and knocked it out! Go figure.

In the end, I think it is because the guys at Avast are passionate about making a good program and not so concerned about just getting a quick buck. They want to be the best. Their passion shows in the strength of their program!

Can I drop my McAfee subscription in favor of Avast, Keltin, or does it cover areas Avast does not?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Can I drop my McAfee subscription in favor of Avast, Keltin, or does it cover areas Avast does not?

Absolutely. Drop McAfee, remove it completely from your system, and install Avast. Avast is better, and covers things the others don't touch (like P2P, Messaging, etc)

I did a lot of research on AVs a few years back. McAfee and Norton are the “big boys” that everyone knows…..but you’re really just buying the name.

Several independent sites rated PC Security Shield higher than both of those. So I bought it. I paid for it for two years and then began having problems. I got this virus Biskit had and PCSS missed it, and the new web sniffer PCSS began using was mind numbingly slow. I have a 20 meg pipe down, and the web sniffer was clogging that down to less than 2 meg! :w00t:

I had 1/2 a year’s subscription left when I found Avast and simply deleted PCSS and never looked back.

I use Avast exclusively now, and it’s about the best I’ve ever seen. It updates daily, catches things other programs miss, and even has boot scans. Not to mention its web sniffer is fast and doesn’t impact DL speed at all. AND, it’s protection is modular, and each module can be configured independently, as well as enabled or disabled independently.

You can’t go wrong with Avast!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here’s a shot of the Avast modules. I don’t run them all since I don’t need them. I primarily run the Standard Shield that scans every file that opens on your PC hard drive, and Network and Web Shields that scan every incoming packet for virus. Notice in the shot that the last thing it scanned were the smilie files from NCT! It checks everything and it’s fast!

ixz5ly.jpg

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
We have MacAfee but that is because it comes from our ISP at no cost to us. Yes, it does miss things on occasion and recently started having conflicts with Windows Defender as well, very annoying!