NY Strip Steak Burger

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
****Purist Warning****

Ok, if you’re a steak purist, you may want to turn around and close this thread now before you see what I did to a perfectly good steak! :yum:

Still with me? Ok, let’s do this.

NY Strip Steak Burger

Ingredients

1 NY Strip Steak
1 Top Sirloin Cap Steak (Sirloin Sizzler)
1 Meat Grinding Device!

Procedure

Notice I used a NY Strip and a Top Sirloin steak for this. I added the Sirloin for a boost in flavor (and it’s cheap!). I had considered adding some regular ground beef for extra fat, but that would preclude me (according to the Food Police) from serving a Medium Rare burger.

Start by cutting the steak up into 3/4” to 1” cubes. As you cube the meat, trim away as much tough fat and sinew as you can. Place the cubed meat in your meat grinder and obliterate it! I used a Food Processor with the twin blade attachment (the standard Blade-O-Death that comes with the machine). The Food Processor does a right fine job of grinding meat.

Shape the meat into patties. I had right at 1 pound of meat (I used small steaks) so I made 2 patties - the exact number I needed for me and DW. Two half pounders coming up!

I decided to use the reverse sear method to cook these; there’s actually a good article on that method and how many times to flip a burger here <Click Me>.

I placed the patties in a 350 degree oven until they reached 135 degrees internal temperature (about 15 minutes), and then quickly seared them on both sides in a hot CI skillet. Since I ground my own meat, serving a Medium to Medium Rare burger was totally acceptable.

Unfortunately, perhaps my thermometer is off, even though it said 130-135, once I cut into it after the sear (2 minutes per side) it was bordering on well done. All the pink was nearly gone (is that a line from a song???). For a more Medium burger, I’d suggest cooking to only 125 (about 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven) and then reverse searing. Still, I won’t lie, this was a darn good burger!

I suggest serving this as Spartan as possible. A good bun, mayo, mustard, ketchup or steak sauce….maybe cheese. Let the meat talk to you and don’t try to overload this hunk of love with the usual onions, lettuce, pickle, peppers, tomato, etc (at least not the first time you try this). If you want to go truly Spartan with this, then lightly toast your buns with some garlic butter and eat the meat plain on the bun (perhaps with a dipping sauce if desired). Personally, I just got to have mayo, mustard, and ketchup on my burger. :biggrin:

Step1-39.jpg

Step2-33.jpg

Step3-28.jpg

Step4-20.jpg

Step4a.jpg

Step5-15.jpg

Step6-9.jpg

Step7-9.jpg

Step8-6.jpg

FryBoy

I'm definitely a "steak purist" and I think what you did was great! Looks yummy. Now, it also looks very lean. Some burger freaks suggest that you need 25% fat for a good juicy burger, but I think that's bull (so to speak). Properly grilled (or pan broiled), lean burger remains very moist and juicy, as yours obviously did, and is much more healthful than one with high levels of fat. Some might miss the flavor of the fat, but I prefer the taste of the red meat.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Newnork & FryBoy. Yep, it was definitely lean, but still very good. It wasn't dry, and you could really taste the meat. I'll definitely do this again, but next time I'm going to grill it....probably 3 minutes a side to get closer to Medium Rare. Not to mention that great grilled flavor! Also, I think I'll use a Ribeye next time to see how that turns out. The adventure shall continue. :biggrin:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I'm dying to try this, Keltin. That is a delicious looking burger!

I don't use ground beef because I saw a show one time as a kid about the stuff - meat and otherwise - that ends up in most ground beef. Maybe it was exaggerated, but it has stuck in my mind for all these years and I can't get past it. But grinding my own would work perfectly. I even have a grinder attachment for my Kitchenaid. Thanks so much!