No, I didn't kill him.

Granny

It was 1963 and almost Thanksgiving. We had been married less than two months. The only cooking experience I had was watching my mom and grandma cook, but I did have my trusty Betty Crocker cookbook, and that's all I needed. I decided to make my very first pie, and the crust would be from scratch. So near to Thanksgiving, it had to be a pumpkin pie.

I carefully followed Betty's pie crust instructions. I make the most beautiful fluted pie crust edge you have ever seen. When it came out of the oven, it was truly a thing of beauty. It had browned just right and with the heavenly smell of spices wafting through the house, it was perfect. Too hot to eat, but we could eat it warm. I went to take a shower, hoping that by the time I got back, it would be cool enough to slice.

In the shower I was congratulating myself on a job well done, and anxiously awaiting the moment I would be taking the first bite. As I entered the kitchen, what a shocking sight! There before my eyes was this gorgeous pie shell with the most perfectly fluted edge, browned to perfection, but every last drop of the filling was gone!

I asked my husband, "Why did you do this?" His reply was, "I don't like pie crust." :pat:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I bet you thought about it though :lol:. I have never been good at the fluted edge thing. Mine are usually fluted by someone else, namely Pillsbury.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
He was a very lucky man.

I am male and I do the cooking had new DW done that some displeasure would have Bern shown.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Great story. My wife Fran used to make her own crust but no more. Store bought is very good, and very easy...... ;)

Granny

It is very difficult to make good pie crust from scratch, but I didn't know that back then. After the pumpkin pie, we invited some friends over for dinner, so I did my Betty Crocker thing and made a great-looking apple pie. It was beautiful with those nice fluted edges and I cut some fancy designs in the top crust. Best looking pie I ever saw.

When I carried the pie to the table, my friend (who had a few years on me), knew I was only 19 and newly married, said, "I'm surprised you attempted to make a pie. Pie crust is the hardest thing to make."

Well, that pie did taste great, but ever since that day, over the years when I attempted to make a crust, it was always a great big flop. So my theory is that it is easy to make pie crust, but as soon as someone tells you it is hard, you are jinxed for life. :eek: