New York proposes salt ban in restaurants.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Chefs Call Proposed New York Salt Ban 'Absurd'

Updated: Thursday, 11 Mar 2010, 8:01 AM EST
Published : Wednesday, 10 Mar 2010, 7:36 PM EST
By ARUN KRISTIAN DAS / MyFox New York
MYFOXNY.COM - Some New York City chefs and restaurant owners are taking aim at a bill introduced in the New York Legislature that, if passed, would ban the use of salt in restaurant cooking.
"No owner or operator of a restaurant in this state shall use salt in any form in the preparation of any food for consumption by customers of such restaurant, including food prepared to be consumed on the premises of such restaurant or off of such premises," the bill, A. 10129 , states in part.
The legislation, which Assemblyman Felix Ortiz , D-Brooklyn, introduced on March 5, would fine restaurants $1,000 for each violation.
"The consumer needs to make their own health choices. Just as doctors and the occasional visit to a hospital can't truly control how a person chooses to maintain their health, neither can chefs nor the occasional visit to a restaurant," said Jeff Nathan, the executive chef and co-owner of Abigael's on Broadway. "Modifying trans fats and sodium intake needs to be home based for optimal health. Regulating restaurants will not solve this health issue."

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/loc...roposed-new-york-salt-ban-absurd-20100310-akd

Ummm... Is this serious, or just a publicity stunt?

K

Kimchee

That's taking it to an extreme, but getting restaurants to significantly cut back on their salt use would be nice.
Course, I don't really support a law to do it, but it wouldn't happen otherwise.

Is it NY that's trying to tax sugared soft drinks too?

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
That's taking it to an extreme, but getting restaurants to significantly cut back on their salt use would be nice.
Course, I don't really support a law to do it, but it wouldn't happen otherwise.

Is it NY that's trying to tax sugared soft drinks too?

I don't recall voting for any representative in order that they take control of everything I touch. If they really want to get rid of bad restaurant food then close up all the fast food joints first.

I know; they could make salt illegal, or tax it. Jeeze!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
:yum::yum::yum: These people continue to show us just how ignorant they really are. Next they will require nursing mothers to come in weekly to have their milk tested, so little junior does not get anything in their body that could cause them to become fat, diabetic, autistic, or, God forbid, a politician. I say the gene pool needs a good cleaning, because it's pretty darn polluted.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I don't agree with banning trans-fat, but I can at least understand it. It is a chemically altered substance, that humanity did just fine without.

Salt on the other hand, is a most natural substance, that has been used for millennia. I'm certain that there is no other substance more ubiquitous in cooking throughout the world. This proposal truly is absurd.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Hey - I don't even like salt and rarely add any to my cooking, but this is ridiculous! (DH is on limited salt diet, hence to no salt in my cooking.) I don't see how chef's can prepare food that draws people to their restaurants if they are not allowed to season the food!