New Potato Salad with Vinaigrette Dressing

GotGarlic

New Potato Salad with Vinaigrette Dressing

(Kids are so cute. I served this to some friends with their young children; Timmy said he didn't like the potatoes. His mom said, "Timmy, it's vinaigrette - you like vinegar." He thought for a second, then said, "Yeah, but I don't like the 'grette part.")

3 pounds small red new potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick (12-15)
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion (optional)
1/2 cup black olives, pitted and sliced (optional)

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil. Add potatoes. Return to a boil and cook 5-8 minutes or until potatoes are just tender. Drain well.

Meanwhile, whisk together vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, sugar, oregano, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Turn potatoes into a large plastic food-storage bag. Add onion and dressing to bag; seal. Set bag aside at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours, turning occasionally to distribute ingredients evenly. I usually make it in the morning and let it marinate all day.

Add olives; toss gently to coat. Serve at once or refrigerate.

Here, I sprinkled it with chopped cilantro and served it with pan-grilled tuna and Bobby Flay's Red Tomatillo Sauce. No there are no red tomatillos - the red comes from chile powder.

Attachments

• potato-salad-vinaigrette.jpg
    potato-salad-vinaigrette.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That meal looks luscious, GG! The tuna looks moist!

Do you cook your tuna so it's rare on the inside, or cooked all the way through?

Lee

GotGarlic

Thanks, Peeps and QSis. Q, definitely rare inside - two minutes on the first side, 30-45 on the second. And the sauce was amazing with it - it's Bobby Flay's Red Tomatillo sauce, with roasted tomatillos, a hot pepper, red onions and garlic, and chile powder, honey and cilantro. Yummy.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks for posting this. That whole plate looks wonderful. I'll definitely be giving this one a try!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Thanks, Peeps and QSis. Q, definitely rare inside - two minutes on the first side, 30-45 on the second. And the sauce was amazing with it - it's Bobby Flay's Red Tomatillo sauce, with roasted tomatillos, a hot pepper, red onions and garlic, and chile powder, honey and cilantro. Yummy.
"two minutes on the first side, 30-45 on the second." 30-45 Seconds not minutes? I don't cook much fish but you and Mama got me wanting to make tuna and just want to sure on the cooking times.

GotGarlic

"two minutes on the first side, 30-45 on the second." 30-45 Seconds not minutes? I don't cook much fish but you and Mama got me wanting to make tuna and just want to sure on the cooking times.

Yes, that's right. In a really hot pan, I sear the first side, then flip and just barely cook the second side. This leaves a wide band of raw red tuna in the middle. IMO, when fresh tuna is cooked through, it's overcooked and dry.